Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Think Kids Should Have To Do Homework?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM
  • 36 Replies

7 Reasons Kids Should Be Allowed to Skip Homework

by Mr. Nolan

homeworkEvery day after school I have to do homework, and every day it makes me mad. Homework is a big waste of time, and kids shouldn't have to do it -- especially kids who get good grades already.

Here are seven reasons I think kids should never have to do homework again.

1. Why should you do homework when you learn at school?
  2. Homework tires you out.
  3. If you were doing your homework during a storm, why do your homework if you could be killed?
  4. Grownups sometimes ground you if you mess around while doing it.
  5. TV can be a big distraction. (Especially with an annoying little sibling watching it. It’s not fair that they get to watch it and you don’t.)
  6. Doing homework is a waste of time. You could be playing video games, running around outside, or even reading a book -- but NOT one of you workbooks.
  7. Our brains can only take so much!

Do you think kids should have to do homework?

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I think kids should do their homework. My dd doesn't have a choice.

undrcvrmom
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM

My dd who is in 5th grade doesn't get homework.  Her teacher doesn't believe in it.lol  I say that is all well and good but what if her teacher in a couple of years loves to give homework?  She will have to learn how to do it and it may be harder for her to get into the routine.

illinoismommy83
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Learning is a life-long process and part of it should take place at home. I don't think 2nd graders need 6 hours of homework per night, but reinforcing what they learned at school (even if its just a 5 min worksheet that goes over the day's lesson) helps keep children focused.

American educational standards are so low because so many kids are not encouraged to try. It really is a shame.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Yes, I think they should have it within reason. I think k-2nd grade is a little much to have it every weekend and maybe just on Fridays they should not have anything unless its a project but I think a worksheet or two a day is fine!

MichelleMc
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I think there should be a with in reason. I feel that most of the work should be done in class, with the left over done at home. I think that most aren't set up this way & homework is a way to get the classwork done. That I don't agree with. I think that you can learn study skills, I think you can learn how to juggle & do things multi task, without homework, and I think the parents need to know what their kids are doing, is a lame cop out personally. I don't need homework to know what my child is doing, and if I do need to, there are other ways I can find that out. 

AquariusFemale9
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I agree that those students who understand the material thoroughly shouldn't be made to do it but that's only about 10% of any classroom anyway, and if you eliminate their homework, logically you must add homework to the lower 10% students. It's just easier for teachers to give everyone an assignment than deal with the politics

mom4awesomekids
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

No they should do their homework.

HuggaBug1991
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM
yes
mommadana
by New Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I think they should send home homework as well as a review sheet for tests.  It drives me nuts that they don't send home review sheets like they do in middle school and high school and college. He's in 4th grade, but sometimes it's better to send home SOMETHING for them to study.

Dana      you rock 

weddingcountdown.com

butterflycircle
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I think home work is good. It keeps me involved in my daughters education too. I do think that kids tend to get a little to much hw though. my daught urs sleeps 11ish hours a night, is in school 7 hours a day and spends at least an hour doing hw and that is when she only has spelling words, spelling sentences, reading, and a word list to read. Some nights her teacher sends home work sheets. then with snack, dinner, and when it is time to getready for bed (shower, pjs, teeth, that stuff) there is hardly any time for her to just be a kid and play.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)