Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do You Think Kids Should Have To Do Homework?

7 Reasons Kids Should Be Allowed to Skip Homework

by Mr. Nolan

homeworkEvery day after school I have to do homework, and every day it makes me mad. Homework is a big waste of time, and kids shouldn't have to do it -- especially kids who get good grades already.

Here are seven reasons I think kids should never have to do homework again.

1. Why should you do homework when you learn at school?
  2. Homework tires you out.
  3. If you were doing your homework during a storm, why do your homework if you could be killed?
  4. Grownups sometimes ground you if you mess around while doing it.
  5. TV can be a big distraction. (Especially with an annoying little sibling watching it. It’s not fair that they get to watch it and you don’t.)
  6. Doing homework is a waste of time. You could be playing video games, running around outside, or even reading a book -- but NOT one of you workbooks.
  7. Our brains can only take so much!

Do you think kids should have to do homework?

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Replies (11-20):
stykir
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:46 PM

did a second grader come up with that list? 
yes, homework is repetative. yes, homework is boring and takes up time. but most kids need it. my son has really good grades and i still want him to do it and do it well and neatly. he needs work in penmanship so this helps, it helps them to solidify what they learned earlier in the day by coming back to it and practicing again. In younger grades when it really just seems monotonous, it's setting the routine for later when the practice really might be needed. i sometimes feel like there's too much homework, but that's a different story altogether. i'm not against a little homework. 

PoplarGrove
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:08 PM
2 moms liked this

If the child isn't grasping the material at school then doing extra work at home at their own pace is beneficial.  If the kid already gets it then it's just busy work and a complete waste of time.  My kids teachers know that if they are given redundant homework I won't be wasting my families time having them do it (like write the spelling words that they already know how to spell 10 times a night or do more math questions when they've already mastered the concept)

Kids need to PLAY.  Not play on the computer or with their video games but run, imagine, explore, and create in an unstructured environment.  To me the learning my children do while playing is just as important as the lessons they learn at school. 

NNB
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:44 PM

No. School is for learning, bythe time they get home they don;t have much time to play, I disagree with homework!

yanamom
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM

If you intend that your child only work at dead-end, low paying jobs and have no future, then by all means skip the homework, fuss at the teachers for sending it home and don't let your child do it.

On the other hand, if you want them to succed in college and be succesfull in their careers, then you better hope that your child's teacher understands the importance of sending work home for them to do. And you better make sure that they do it! 

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I absolutely think kids should do it. It reinforces what they are learning in school. It also gives me the opportunity to see how much he is learning & what we need to practice more on.

MJP76
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Yes, I think they should do their homework. However, I don't think they should be given homework, to the extent that they are given homework. Sometimes it's difficult for parents these days to help their children, and no one can help them or explain the lesson like the teacher can.

SaraCate
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I am reminded of John Rockefeller's quote regarding public education:

"I don't want a nation of thinkers; I want a nation of workers!"

Quoting yanamom:

If you intend that your child only work at dead-end, low paying jobs and have no future, then by all means skip the homework, fuss at the teachers for sending it home and don't let your child do it.

On the other hand, if you want them to succed in college and be succesfull in their careers, then you better hope that your child's teacher understands the importance of sending work home for them to do. And you better make sure that they do it! 

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I see nothing wrong with homework - as long as the expectations of said homework is reasonable.  When I taught school - 3rd grade - I went on a philosphy of no more than 5 minutes of each subject per grade level.  So, for example - if I sent home a math sheet and a spelling sheet, each sheet should not take any more than 15 each so no more than a total of 30 minutes of homework. 

In addition, I asked parents to have their children read for 15 minutes a night at home in addition to the 20 minutes of DEAR time we had in class everyday.  I did not assign homework sheets over the weekends; if there was a homework sheet that went with the math lesson we did on Friday, I would save it for Monday morning work... But, I did encourage  the kids to read at least 2 of the 3 evenings during an average weekend.

angeltink7
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM

My son is now grown and over the years only one teacher believed in no homework.  He learned more than year in her class than any other and enjoyed learning like no other.  It also allowed him to enjoy his evenings, his family, and his friends. 

All other years were nothing but frustration for him and our family because of having way too much homework.  Most years we had to pull him from after school activities so he could get the work done.  They are in school all day and teachers should be focused on doing the work in school.  How many jobs are there where we have to do our work all day and then bring home hours more work at night?  That said I do not think there should ever be more than 10 minutes per grade maxing out at no more than 90 minutes in high school, period.  Kids need social, family, and down time.

I will not even mention the new math methods that our schools refuse to help parents understand so they can help their children if they need help with it. 

breebree04
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, you just took the words right out of my mouth. This is exactly how I feel. I make my kids do their homework but after 7 hrs a day in school I dont believe they should have any!

Quoting angeltink7:

My son is now grown and over the years only one teacher believed in no homework.  He learned more than year in her class than any other and enjoyed learning like no other.  It also allowed him to enjoy his evenings, his family, and his friends. 

All other years were nothing but frustration for him and our family because of having way too much homework.  Most years we had to pull him from after school activities so he could get the work done.  They are in school all day and teachers should be focused on doing the work in school.  How many jobs are there where we have to do our work all day and then bring home hours more work at night?  That said I do not think there should ever be more than 10 minutes per grade maxing out at no more than 90 minutes in high school, period.  Kids need social, family, and down time.

I will not even mention the new math methods that our schools refuse to help parents understand so they can help their children if they need help with it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)