Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Think Kids Should Have To Do Homework?

7 Reasons Kids Should Be Allowed to Skip Homework

by Mr. Nolan

homeworkEvery day after school I have to do homework, and every day it makes me mad. Homework is a big waste of time, and kids shouldn't have to do it -- especially kids who get good grades already.

Here are seven reasons I think kids should never have to do homework again.

1. Why should you do homework when you learn at school?
  2. Homework tires you out.
  3. If you were doing your homework during a storm, why do your homework if you could be killed?
  4. Grownups sometimes ground you if you mess around while doing it.
  5. TV can be a big distraction. (Especially with an annoying little sibling watching it. It’s not fair that they get to watch it and you don’t.)
  6. Doing homework is a waste of time. You could be playing video games, running around outside, or even reading a book -- but NOT one of you workbooks.
  7. Our brains can only take so much!

Do you think kids should have to do homework?

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Replies (21-30):
mom23heathens
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Yes and no. I understand homework to be the device in which a teacher determines whether each student has mastered the subjsect matter of the days lesson plan. (In preparation for testing) I also feel that some homework is redundant. Some things like book reading,book reports, essays etc need more time than what is allowed in the classroom as well as materials and research of these materials that are not available in the classroom. Homework should be given out but sparingly.

enlightened_24
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I think so. My DS usually has to do 2-3 things a day and it never takes him more than 15 minutes. I think its fair. My DH disagrees and complains more than anyone I know about his homework. I feel if its managable and it helps, why not? Unfortunately, we know the homework is not graded and it does not count if its not done. That makes it hard to argue with him...

SaraCate
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I've been considering what I want to say here...the initial list is silly/facetious/inane, but I believe homework is, at best, neutral in most cases.

The available research doesn't really find any benefit in homework for elementary students.  Further, if a person is engaged, if the information is relevant (or made relevant), people will want to continue exploring it outside of class.  

I suppose I believe that homework as we know it is one (rather small) symptom of a broken education system.  

Having said all that, "Should homework be assigned?" and "Should the kids just do as they're told (re: homework?" are two different questions...

texasmommy125
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I think kids should have a reasonable amount of homework.  My DD (kindergarten) and DS get homework, not much, but enough to reinforce what they are learning.

PEEK05
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Of course they should have homework.  It helps practice their skills and lets them know what they need help on or what they excel in. :)

MissAlly89
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Yes, I think it should be required, so that the teacher can make sure that each individual child understands the concept, and can hopefully help the children that need special help in an area.

Uhura
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:22 PM

How else are you going to get better if you don't practice? There's a fine line between too little and too much, but homework is helpful. Obviously, there are some classes in life that one doesn't need/get homework in and that's okay, but it's not true for all classes.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom Tickers

Spoiled_Blonde
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I think kids should do their homework. My kids, have no TV, games or playing until homework and chores are done. 5 days a week. It seriously takes them about 30 mins to do both.. lol  It teaches them responsibility.

SlapItHigh
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Regular homework is not beneficial IMO. I can see the purpose for a big project or paper, but not the busywork that most homework consists of. I let my kids play as soon as they get home and never stress homework. I don't care if they don't get it done. They are both straight A students. 

OliviasMommy611
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Quoting goddess99:

I think kids should do their homework. My dd doesn't have a choice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)