Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I give up on birth control?

Posted by   + Show Post

My DH and I have been married for 7 years and have 3 kids.  We want to have a 4th but wanted to wait a little longer while we pay off more bills.  I have been on Depo, Mirena, and NuvaRing since having our last dd 4 years ago.  The problem is that all of the birth control methods we've used have had nasty side effects (extreme depression, dead sex drive, head aches, etc.) which is why I have changed so much.  I am at my wits end with BC and do not want anymore chemicals in my body.  At the same time, we want to wait until we get pregnant again.  Of course there's condoms but they seem like such a hassle.  We've never used condoms in our marriage and I don't think my DH will stick to using them exclusively.  What would you ladies do?  Do you think we should just let it happen if it's meant to be or get on BC even if it's condoms?

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Replies (11-20):
aeneva
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I would look at something non hormonal.  I got a paraguard for some of the same reasons you mentioned.  We also used Fertility awareness method for a year before we tried to have children to make sure all hormones were out of my system before getting pregnant.

butterflycircle
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I would quit all birth control and suck it up and use condoms until you are ready. that will give your body a break from bc too.

Jeremmy
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Read 'taking charge of your fertility'. It talks about the NFP method. No hormones to bog you down :)

lovelychaos13
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM

we are using condoms and the rhythm method. i track my cycle watching for changes in my mucus, but my cycle varies between 22-27 days we are waiting for 2 more usula cycles then ttc. i also insit we use condoms too, i wont do it at all unless hes got a condom on. we are both partly scared about ttc in a few months, scared once we get a BFP wondering how long it will last, if this baby got a genetic death sentance as the one we lost last year at 38 weeks. its slightly exciting yet mainly terrifying for us, high misscarrige rate and all.

mstasha210
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I was using the IUD but had bad cramping with it.  I removed that to try to use the NuvaRing which I've used before.  Then the emotional rollercoaster began.

Quoting EmilyG10:

what about the iud?

mstasha210
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I haven't heard to the fertility awareness method but I will be sure to look that up.  Thanks :)

Quoting aeneva:

I would look at something non hormonal.  I got a paraguard for some of the same reasons you mentioned.  We also used Fertility awareness method for a year before we tried to have children to make sure all hormones were out of my system before getting pregnant.

mstasha210
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I feel for you.  Worrying abou the health of your future child is a whole different ball game.  I hope everything works out for you two.

Quoting lovelychaos13:

we are using condoms and the rhythm method. i track my cycle watching for changes in my mucus, but my cycle varies between 22-27 days we are waiting for 2 more usula cycles then ttc. i also insit we use condoms too, i wont do it at all unless hes got a condom on. we are both partly scared about ttc in a few months, scared once we get a BFP wondering how long it will last, if this baby got a genetic death sentance as the one we lost last year at 38 weeks. its slightly exciting yet mainly terrifying for us, high misscarrige rate and all.

EmilyG10
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:59 PM

try useing a non hormal birth control best of luck

Quoting mstasha210:

I was using the IUD but had bad cramping with it.  I removed that to try to use the NuvaRing which I've used before.  Then the emotional rollercoaster began.

Quoting EmilyG10:

what about the iud?

egrzesik91
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I use the diaphram and spermicide. The spermacide only has like 10 applications and I want to look for a bottle rather than single use tubes. No hormones. The downfall, you need to put it in place (can't feel it after a minute) before you even get aroused and not sure why. We refuse to use condoms.

The Pull- out method lessens your chance of him getting you pregnant but it really isn't a form of birth control since it can't be tested on effectiveness due to pre-cum, etc.

Night_Roane
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I used the pull-out method with spermicide and the rhythm method. It worked until this past fall (oops). BUT, I think our failing was that my period was off due to stress (which means the rhythm method was no longer effective) and because of that we didn't pull-out when we should have (due to not knowing it was a bad time of month because the rhythm method was off), and spermicide is only 80% effective by itself.

btw - any hormonal birth control, including tri lo sac and low dose pills - make me throw up, so I can't use them.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)