Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I give up on birth control?

Posted by   + Show Post

My DH and I have been married for 7 years and have 3 kids.  We want to have a 4th but wanted to wait a little longer while we pay off more bills.  I have been on Depo, Mirena, and NuvaRing since having our last dd 4 years ago.  The problem is that all of the birth control methods we've used have had nasty side effects (extreme depression, dead sex drive, head aches, etc.) which is why I have changed so much.  I am at my wits end with BC and do not want anymore chemicals in my body.  At the same time, we want to wait until we get pregnant again.  Of course there's condoms but they seem like such a hassle.  We've never used condoms in our marriage and I don't think my DH will stick to using them exclusively.  What would you ladies do?  Do you think we should just let it happen if it's meant to be or get on BC even if it's condoms?

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Replies (31-40):
BrittSam2011
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:10 PM

It's not. But they do it. I think it's disgusting and wrong, but they do it anyway.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

And how would it ever be moral for "little girls" to be having sex?

Quoting BrittSam2011:

Honey, it's not healthy for every girl/woman to get pregnant. Like little girls and women with medical conditions. And abstinence isn't something most are willing to do. So the best choice would be birth control.

And what about women who are poor and can't take care of their children? Would you tell them to just keep their legs closed or give the baby up for adoption? Birth control is the best course in these instances, and to stigmatize it would be a big mistake.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Birth control turns a healthy condition into something pathological.  The reproductive system itself was created to make visible the invisible, our trinitarian creation.  Contraception is a rejection of that.  Unfortunately, the devastating effects of the acceptance has become widespread having terrible consequences for our society and our physical health.  All knew it was immoral until around 1930 when a few began to allow the secular influence to change objective morals into moral relativism.  That slowly spread and eventually took hold.

Quoting BrittSam2011:

Why is it immoral? Just asking.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I would definitely get off them. Birth control has terrible effects and is immoral. I would use NFP if I wanted to space a pregnancy.

SlapItHigh
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Two wrongs don't make a right.  You asked about morality.

Quoting BrittSam2011:

It's not. But they do it. I think it's disgusting and wrong, but they do it anyway.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

And how would it ever be moral for "little girls" to be having sex?

Quoting BrittSam2011:

Honey, it's not healthy for every girl/woman to get pregnant. Like little girls and women with medical conditions. And abstinence isn't something most are willing to do. So the best choice would be birth control.

And what about women who are poor and can't take care of their children? Would you tell them to just keep their legs closed or give the baby up for adoption? Birth control is the best course in these instances, and to stigmatize it would be a big mistake.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Birth control turns a healthy condition into something pathological.  The reproductive system itself was created to make visible the invisible, our trinitarian creation.  Contraception is a rejection of that.  Unfortunately, the devastating effects of the acceptance has become widespread having terrible consequences for our society and our physical health.  All knew it was immoral until around 1930 when a few began to allow the secular influence to change objective morals into moral relativism.  That slowly spread and eventually took hold.

Quoting BrittSam2011:

Why is it immoral? Just asking.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I would definitely get off them. Birth control has terrible effects and is immoral. I would use NFP if I wanted to space a pregnancy.

SlapItHigh
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Thanks for clarifying.  I understand that many see it a different way.  I too saw it a similar way that you do until recently as I have been getting deep into faith on a quest for truth.  I've been studying the early church and reading the deep Christian intellectual thinkers and going deep into Scripture.  I have been learning about the Theology of the Body and my mind has been blown wide open.  Christians have always known that birth control is immoral so how could things change?  The Bible says that God does not change?  So is it possible that nearly 2,000 years later us new modern Christians could change this or have found the truth for the first time?  If so, the early church that Christ led didn't yield any fruitl for over 1900 years.  That just doesn't mesh well with logic or reason. What does mesh well with this new change of Christians begining to accept birth control in the 1900s?  

2 Timothy 4

New International Version (NIV)

In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge:Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

The very first command God gives in the Bible is for man to become one flesh and multiply.  Look what happened to Onan (Genesis 38:9-10)!!  Remember what Jesus said on his way to be crucified.  He warned us what would happen when the wood was dry (Luke 23:29) .  It's happening now and we are sitting back and watching.  I feel convicted to stand up for truth!  I know most others won't agree but God told us that too.  He told us the gate was wide that leads to destrution and many would follow (Matthew 7:13).

Quoting BrittSam2011:

I wasn't trying to be condescending. And I see your point. I just made an alternate one from what I thought you meant. No big deal. I'm a God fearing woman, too. I pray every day.

rockin2_manyMOM
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Perhaps try the nexplanon? It is inserted in your arm....works up to 3 years. I love mine. No pms. No periods. No babies until I have it removed lol

Or the natural family planning plus condoms? That way you arent having sex when you are most fertile...so if he "forgets" a condom or something...a little less likely to have a baby

BrittSam2011
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Good point. And I'm glad you're devoting more of yourself to God and following scripture. Good for you. My DH and I have 3 sons because we don't use any birth control. Lol they're the other loves of my life. 

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Thanks for clarifying.  I understand that many see it a different way.  I too saw it a similar way that you do until recently as I have been getting deep into faith on a quest for truth.  I've been studying the early church and reading the deep Christian intellectual thinkers and going deep into Scripture.  I have been learning about the Theology of the Body and my mind has been blown wide open.  Christians have always known that birth control is immoral so how could things change?  The Bible says that God does not change?  So is it possible that nearly 2,000 years later us new modern Christians could change this or have found the truth for the first time?  If so, the early church that Christ led didn't yield any fruitl for over 1900 years.  That just doesn't mesh well with logic or reason. What does mesh well with this new change of Christians begining to accept birth control in the 1900s?  

2 Timothy 4

New International Version (NIV)

In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge:Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

The very first command God gives in the Bible is for man to become one flesh and multiply.  Look what happened to Onan (Genesis 38:9-10)!!  Remember what Jesus said on his way to be crucified.  He warned us what would happen when the wood was dry (Luke 23:29) .  It's happening now and we are sitting back and watching.  I feel convicted to stand up for truth!  I know most others won't agree but God told us that too.  He told us the gate was wide that leads to destrution and many would follow (Matthew 7:13).

Quoting BrittSam2011:

I wasn't trying to be condescending. And I see your point. I just made an alternate one from what I thought you meant. No big deal. I'm a God fearing woman, too. I pray every day.

SlapItHigh
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Nice to see another mom of boys!  I have 3 sons too :).  Although dh and I have used birth control.  It was only this past year that I changed my views on that.  And FWIW, I don't judge those who contracept -- I understand where they are coming from b/c I did too.  But if someone asks me, I share my views!

Quoting BrittSam2011:

Good point. And I'm glad you're devoting more of yourself to God and following scripture. Good for you. My DH and I have 3 sons because we don't use any birth control. Lol they're the other loves of my life. 

preacherskid
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I would go with NFP, definitely get Taking Charge of Your Fertility (www.tcoyf.com has trackers you can use)  I personally have the Paragard as hormones are not my friend, but with my irregular cycles and ability to get pregnant by looking at DH on the right day lol just charting was not going to cut it.  Paragard was the best alternative for us, and I have not had any issues in the two years I have had it.

Tckosdk.2012
by New Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I have the non-hormonal IUD called Para Guard. That might be a good option for you since the one's you've tried were hormonal. This IUD is good for 10 years. I really like it & haven't had any side effects.

beachlove512
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I don't understand how using condoms is a "hassle." DH and I use them with no problems.

lilred13494
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Id just let nature take itd course and see whst happens.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)