Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I give up on birth control?

Posted by   + Show Post

My DH and I have been married for 7 years and have 3 kids.  We want to have a 4th but wanted to wait a little longer while we pay off more bills.  I have been on Depo, Mirena, and NuvaRing since having our last dd 4 years ago.  The problem is that all of the birth control methods we've used have had nasty side effects (extreme depression, dead sex drive, head aches, etc.) which is why I have changed so much.  I am at my wits end with BC and do not want anymore chemicals in my body.  At the same time, we want to wait until we get pregnant again.  Of course there's condoms but they seem like such a hassle.  We've never used condoms in our marriage and I don't think my DH will stick to using them exclusively.  What would you ladies do?  Do you think we should just let it happen if it's meant to be or get on BC even if it's condoms?

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Replies (51-60):
MomofHDFandNWF
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:41 AM

That is really a personal choice, I know that I was on birth control up until about 3 months ago... I have never had a huge sex drive to begin with because of suffering from depression and being on meds for that.  I have noticed my sex drive has increased some since being off of it... which DH is definitely happy with, but it is not like we are going at it like rabbits either. 

Have you talked to your Dr about getting on a low-hormone dose BC pill or do you really not want to have to take a daily pill?  It wasn't a big deal for me anyway because I have 3 other meds I take daily (plus supplements and vitamins) - so, really, what is one more....

beachlove512
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:42 AM

eh We never used any birth control for the first half of our marriage, but I never found it a big deal to use them. Although I will say I'm not particularly a fan of them either (but it still beats how awful bc pills make me feel). If you're worried about running out of condoms, just buy a big pack lol Don't worry too much about them breaking, it doesn't happen very often but if it worries you that much you could pull out and use condoms.

Quoting mstasha210:

I think if you are used to using them, they aren't a hassle but when we've gone our entire marriage without using them, I can see it being an issue, especially if we run out or it breaks and we have no more.  I'm just thinking worst case scenario I guess because BC had never been a daily issue since I've never been on the pill.

Quoting beachlove512:

I don't understand how using condoms is a "hassle." DH and I use them with no problems.

Diane1223
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I would get off the BC...messed up my periods and gave me terrible irritability.  I would use condoms if necessary or just chart you fertility and cycles. 

MusherMaggie
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Google Natural Family Planning. No chemicals, several different methods.
sllytnkrbl
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Why not try the paragard IUD, it's hormone free so should not have the same side effects as Mirena, it is essentially the same insertion process as the Mirena IUD and is good for up to 10 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Try the condoms.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pamelakeller
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Honestly, I would try either condoms or foam, as any other BC method might have side effects for you.   There is the pull out method, but  in October of 2011 my sister tried the pull out method, and now has another child, a daughter.  If you want to wait to get pregnant again, then this may not be your method of BC.

SlapItHigh
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Resources for NFP?  Here's a great quiz to find out the best method for your lifestyle with links to more info on each method - http://iusenfp.com/home/which-method-of-nfp-is-right-for-me/

HTH! :)

Quoting splatz:

You are always such a good source of info... do you have any books/sites/other resources to recommend on this topic? Right now we are using condoms like I stated above. But, I am tracking so that I can become familiar with my cycle. Then hopefully just stick with NFP completely in the future.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I would definitely get off them. Birth control has terrible effects and is immoral. I would use NFP if I wanted to space a pregnancy.

Ashley0523
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:24 PM

we did pull out method lol

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Thanks I'll check it out when I get to my laptop.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Resources for NFP?  Here's a great quiz to find out the best method for your lifestyle with links to more info on each method - http://iusenfp.com/home/which-method-of-nfp-is-right-for-me/

HTH! :)

Quoting splatz:

You are always such a good source of info... do you have any books/sites/other resources to recommend on this topic? Right now we are using condoms like I stated above. But, I am tracking so that I can become familiar with my cycle. Then hopefully just stick with NFP completely in the future.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I would definitely get off them. Birth control has terrible effects and is immoral. I would use NFP if I wanted to space a pregnancy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)