Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

blood work

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM
  • 8 Replies
My son recently had blood work done at the doctors. They tested for autism and lead. frankly i didnt know you can test for autism threww your bloood. his test results came back and they said his platlets were enlarged. should i be worried!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
JsMommy1003
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Umm....How in the world are they suppose to get a diagnosis of Autism from Bloodwork?? I think I would be asking some questions...

lilred13494
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM
They are going tp redo the blood work in a few weeks
javakitty2011
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM

i think you may have misunderstood. Blood doesn't tell you about autism. Autism is diagnosed by behavioral symptoms and missed developmental milestones. I think. I am not a Dr. 

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM

There is a new clinical trial of a blood test that is being done for some autism indicators. It's genetic testing and so far appears to be very accurate in boys but it is not a proof positive test that the autism spectrum is there. It just gives doctors an indicator that autism may be a problem and more testing and observation should be done. 
I am actually surprised to hear someone mention it. I had read an article about the testing at the end of the year somewhere. It had said that they were licensing one company to commercially produce the test which would be available this year sometime. That was fast! 

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

No idea... hope you get it all figured out soon mama!

Pammi86
by Pamela on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:22 AM

Not really sure but I would talk to them about your concerns!

OliviasMommy611
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Exactly

Quoting javakitty2011:

i think you may have misunderstood. Blood doesn't tell you about autism. Autism is diagnosed by behavioral symptoms and missed developmental milestones. I think. I am not a Dr. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM
I would call and ask them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN