Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's the hardest thing you've had to overcome as a parent ?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM
  • 32 Replies

So what's the hardest thing as a parent you've had to overcome with your child/children. I have two things the first one was having to explain to my eldest son how my brother his uncle died i mean how do you sit down a child & explain suicide ! the 2nd is my son having cronic tic syndrome but we've overcome it all & were still learning about the tics. I have no answers to give my son about his uncle as i have no answers myself.

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pammi86
by Pamela on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I have been lucky so far bc I have just dealth with usual parenting challenges!

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM
2 moms liked this

DD is only 2 1/2 and so far, I feel that the biggest thing I've had to overcome as a parent is really reconciling myself to the fact that I AM a parent.  I know it sounds silly because DD was planned, but I was a career-minded person before having her.  We were the type of couple that would just pick up and go.  We live in NYC and I work in media, so there was a lot of hanging out with friends, dinners, brunches, etc....Once I had DD, I had to find a way to redefine myself as a person and as a parent.  It was incredibly hard for me because of all the expectations and because of the stereotypes.  I had to find a balance and I had to do a lot of proving to people.

Mrsmumofboys
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I remember when i was pregnant with my first boy i was around 6mths pregnant  & i cried in the bathroom on the floor at the realisation i was going to be a mummy even tho he was planned. Like you said having to re plan your life to i gave up work, social life etc it was hard going but i wouldn't change it now only sometimes x

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

DD is only 2 1/2 and so far, I feel that the biggest thing I've had to overcome as a parent is really reconciling myself to the fact that I AM a parent.  I know it sounds silly because DD was planned, but I was a career-minded person before having her.  We were the type of couple that would just pick up and go.  We live in NYC and I work in media, so there was a lot of hanging out with friends, dinners, brunches, etc....Once I had DD, I had to find a way to redefine myself as a person and as a parent.  It was incredibly hard for me because of all the expectations and because of the stereotypes.  I had to find a balance and I had to do a lot of proving to people.

poshkat
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Not tearing my hair out. Lol j/k.

Ds being in the nicu, than being in speech and occupational therapy. We're still dealing with sensory processing disorder. Clothes are a freaking pain in my ass. Can't wear jeans, tight clothing, certain sweaters or fabrics, certain shoes. It's really hard.
Mrsmumofboys
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I do think tho that becoming a mum makes you stronger as a person i'm a true believer that what makes you weak only makes you stronger in the long run. Good luck with it all x

Quoting poshkat:

Not tearing my hair out. Lol j/k.

Ds being in the nicu, than being in speech and occupational therapy. We're still dealing with sensory processing disorder. Clothes are a freaking pain in my ass. Can't wear jeans, tight clothing, certain sweaters or fabrics, certain shoes. It's really hard.

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I definitely wouldn't change it...except for the moments when DD is throwing a tantrum! LOL!

It's tough because I think as a mom there is a lot of pressure on us to be a certain way.  I didn't want to fall into that.  I wanted to show people that you CAN be a mom and a good mom but also have a life outside of that that is fulfilling.  It took a while to find my stride but once I did, it became easier and I became happier.  I tell prospective moms who are worried about it and about losing their identity after having a child that having a child doesn't mean you have to lose the identity you have worked so hard to create.  It's about shifting your life and adding dimension to who you already are.  I don't want to be limited BECAUSE I have a child, but rather I want to experience life differently due to being a parent.  My motivation for things are different.

Quoting Mrsmumofboys:

I remember when i was pregnant with my first boy i was around 6mths pregnant  & i cried in the bathroom on the floor at the realisation i was going to be a mummy even tho he was planned. Like you said having to re plan your life to i gave up work, social life etc it was hard going but i wouldn't change it now only sometimes x

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Mrsmumofboys
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Most definatly i'm just getting my social life back a little bit 8 years on my youngest starts school in sept so i'm still undecided what i want to do yet but as they grow older it gets easier in some aspect but harder in the others as there will always be something to over come along the way. I do find tho that friends of mine who haven't got children do tend to forget you when it comes to invites etc as they think just because your a mum that you either haven't got time for them or you don't want to leave them when in reality alot of us mums would give anything for a 5min break lol

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

I definitely wouldn't change it...except for the moments when DD is throwing a tantrum! LOL!

It's tough because I think as a mom there is a lot of pressure on us to be a certain way.  I didn't want to fall into that.  I wanted to show people that you CAN be a mom and a good mom but also have a life outside of that that is fulfilling.  It took a while to find my stride but once I did, it became easier and I became happier.  I tell prospective moms who are worried about it and about losing their identity after having a child that having a child doesn't mean you have to lose the identity you have worked so hard to create.  It's about shifting your life and adding dimension to who you already are.  I don't want to be limited BECAUSE I have a child, but rather I want to experience life differently due to being a parent.  My motivation for things are different.

Quoting Mrsmumofboys:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Childless friends never seem to understand though.  I know my friend was like that and then she had a baby and the tables turned and she called me up saying "oh my God, I had no idea!"

I actually went back to work when DD was 18 months old.  It has been good for both of us.  We appreciate the time we spend much more and I am more fulfilled and in turn am a more effective mom.  Thankfully, I have parents and step-MIL and aunts who pushed for me to have a life outside of the house and DD.  They all recognize the importance of having time to yourself and that a healthy mom equates to a happy home and a happy child.  They really stress balance in life - with family, work and social life. 

Quoting Mrsmumofboys:

Most definatly i'm just getting my social life back a little bit 8 years on my youngest starts school in sept so i'm still undecided what i want to do yet but as they grow older it gets easier in some aspect but harder in the others as there will always be something to over come along the way. I do find tho that friends of mine who haven't got children do tend to forget you when it comes to invites etc as they think just because your a mum that you either haven't got time for them or you don't want to leave them when in reality alot of us mums would give anything for a 5min break lol

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Quoting Mrsmumofboys:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Mine might be explaining death as well.

myownparadise
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM
My biggest issue is all the people that question my age. I hate explaining that I am now 24, and old enough for marriage and children. I had my first at 19 and second at 20. I, unfortunately, can pass as a mid high school age teen, and it really bugs me. I have had people stop and say, "What pretty little girls,! Are they your sisters?" Um.... no they are definitely my daughters.....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)