Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do you lack empathy?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:03 PM
  • 16 Replies

It is all the time, sometimes and rarely ever. If so do you know why you lack empathy? What ways do you try to empathize?

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sky2413
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't lack empathy. I do feel deeply for others in tough spots.Hwever I am dry in the sympathy department and often tell people i you are going to just throw a pitt party make the reservatons for one.Sometimes I know that is harsh but I am a firm believer in having a good cr or scream fest in the shower or on a drive and then putting on your big girl panties and figuring out how you are gong to deal with the situation.However while you ghave on your big girl panties I am usually the biggest cheerleader and sholder and listener my friends have

JenniferMiller0
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM
It depends on the situation. Say for instance someone I know spends all their pay check gambling and then comes to me saying how their lights got turned off, etc. Am I going to have empathy for them? Nope. But say a family can't pay their bills because the dad got into some horrible accident and can't work or simply got laid off due to the economy being bad. They spent all their money on expenses for the kids/groceries or whatever. Now, those people I would have empathy for.
MJP76
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Yes, I lack empathy. So it's ironic that I'm an empath (meaning that when I get around people I actually feel what they are feeling) which annoys me to no end. It's a curse really, and have had to learn to block it, because at one point in my life (before I knew what was going on) it literally drove me crazy.

yes, I know why I'm like that.

enlightened_24
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Sometimes. Its getting harder and harder as I watch people make these choices. Mainly its kids that I feel for the most. Empathy and sympathy. Its not their fault and they cant change it.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM
No I don't lack empathy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom4awesomekids
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM

No I don't lack empathy.

Knightquester
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM

It depends.

I lack empathy for some people who make poor decisions when they had a chance to do better.  Those are usually people who are old enough that they should know better and usually their decisions cause negative repercussions on their innocent family members and friends.

I however don't lack empathy for most people that are riding the roller coaster of life and things unplanned and unwanted just happened that they have to deal with.

I don't consider any human emotion to be so simple enough to say that a person is without that emotion entirely.  I do believe every person is different enough to not express certain emotions as well as others, or at times and in ways where it might be more appropriate.

Mrsmumofboys
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I don't lack it i'm always there to listen & help if i can but i do get annoyed when people think they have a hard life over silly things sometimes i would like to ask them to step into my shoes & go through what myself & family have gone through because i really don't think they would cope.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I agree with this.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

It depends on the situation. Say for instance someone I know spends all their pay check gambling and then comes to me saying how their lights got turned off, etc. Am I going to have empathy for them? Nope. But say a family can't pay their bills because the dad got into some horrible accident and can't work or simply got laid off due to the economy being bad. They spent all their money on expenses for the kids/groceries or whatever. Now, those people I would have empathy for.

OliviasMommy611
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Never
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)