Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Illegal?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:34 PM
  • 13 Replies
So, I recently made a post on Facebook advertising FREE formula. The WIC office insists on giving me formula even though I've tried and tried and tried telling them that my son does not drink formula but the nutritionist tells me "just in case." Well, my son is nine and half months old and has started solids. I don't see him using the formula anytime soon. My question: One lady said it was illegal to sell it. But I'm not selling it...I'm giving it away. Is that still illegal? I don't want to get in trouble or anything.
CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Don't cash the formula checks. You coud get kicked off WIC for even giving it away. I doubt there is any legal prosecution but you'd be considered fraudulent if you are cashing and giving away. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure if it's illigal. I would donate it to a soup kitchen or women's shelter.

JenniferMiller0
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, we get the cans straight from the WIC warehouse. We don't get formula checks or anything like that.

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

You can give away what you have but dont use the checks anymore. Thats all you have to do. Or take your formula to the wic office or a food bank

preacherskid
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Give away what you have and next visit, be aggressive and tell them that you are not using the formula, and it is going to waste by going to you when they could give it to someone else.  Yes, you can get in trouble by giving away what WIC gives you, one of the odder terms of the program, food given you for yourself or your child must be used by that person (how they check that IDK, but if you had it on Facebook they could pick it up and remove you from the program)

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:09 AM
I was told by the WIC office to donate extras when I recieved it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenniferMiller0
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Quoting preacherskid:

Give away what you have and next visit, be aggressive and tell them that you are not using the formula, and it is going to waste by going to you when they could give it to someone else.  Yes, you can get in trouble by giving away what WIC gives you, one of the odder terms of the program, food given you for yourself or your child must be used by that person (how they check that IDK, but if you had it on Facebook they could pick it up and remove you from the program)

Well, I delete the request from Facebook so I don't get in trouble. If I only had a few cans, I wouldn't worry about it or if I was planning on having another child within the next few months, which I am not. But we have 23 unused,unopened cans.
CafeMom Tickers
4kids4tara
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:23 AM

Yes, it is illegal. Take the checks back to the WIC office and tell them you wont be using them.

preacherskid
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Wow.  Yeah, donate it and be really clear next time you see them that you don't need any more formula.  No sense in them giving you what you don't need when someone else in the program may need it.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Quoting preacherskid:

Well, I delete the request from Facebook so I don't get in trouble. If I only had a few cans, I wouldn't worry about it or if I was planning on having another child within the next few months, which I am not. But we have 23 unused,unopened cans.

CafeMom Tickers
KeishaJL
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Considering you said you DON'T get the checks, they're given to you free even when you don't want them and make that clear ... Give them to your doctor's office or a clinic.  If you know anyone with a baby coming, pass them along.  They use to force it on me when I'd take my son for a checkup.  They were certain I'd use it.  Eventually I did start him on some to suppliment but I certainly didn't need 10 cans of it sitting around the house going bad.  Donate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)