Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What Would You Do If Faced With This Situation?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 9 Replies

Dad Finds Intruder Stealing Sleeping Baby & His Reaction Is Amazingly Brave

by Jeanne Sager

megan jonesPicture it: you're awoken by your 8-year-old daughter screaming. You go running and you find an intruder has broken into your home through a window and taken your sleeping baby out of the crib. A kidnapping is in progress. What do you do?

I would have had a heart attack. Not Dennis Meyers. He's the Florida dad who found a strange woman in his baby's bedroom over the weekend.

Somehow, Meyers managed to grab the intruder by her hair and throw her out of the house, saving his 16-month-old baby from who knows what.

Got that, folks? He threw her out of the house. He didn't get his gun and shoot her. He didn't beat her into a bloody mess. He got the threat OUT of the house.

And when reporters asked him why, Meyers' answer was a classic. He said he didn't want his wife and daughters to witness something as horrifying as seeing him use deadly force.

I'm putting Meyers up as American hero of the week. If only more Americans would opt for the same kind of restraint, we'd have a kinder, gentler world.

Yes, vigilante justice sounds good in the abstract. There's nothing like some old-fashioned revenge to get your justice juices flowing.

But what are the costs? For some, they end up in jail along with the criminal. For others, there's the knowledge that they became the monster ... and now everyone they love looks at them differently.

Unfortunately, not everyone has the restraint that Meyers showed. We act first, think later. When we celebrate those type of actions, we overlook the unfortunate after effects.

And in case you're wondering, there was even more good that came of this. Cops have arrested a woman named Megan Jones and charged her for allegedly breaking into the Meyers home and trying to steal their baby. She's not going near them again any time soon.

The Meyers get to move on now, and with something extra good -- mom is expecting another baby soon! Imagine if she'd had to deal with three kids with her husband in jail for beating an intruder senseless ...

What would you have done in this situation?

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM
I would have went after my baby while screaming for my husband. No one would have got shot because we don't own a gun. This seems easy for the man because it was a women and she wasn't armed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chattycassie
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I would have went for my child too. I am not sure how I would have stopped her. We also don;t have a gun... but to be physically strong enough to toss someone out IDK if I could.

Quoting Janet:

I would have went after my baby while screaming for my husband. No one would have got shot because we don't own a gun. This seems easy for the man because it was a women and she wasn't armed.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I would have went for my child and taken her to my spouse real quick and then dealt with the intruder.

nurse1997
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Thats great news ;] where I live if you enter my home i have the right to shoot you even a police  officer if he does not have a warrant to enter the home, officers were not happy when the law was past here . I think its fair game if you enter my home to hurt my family i'm gonna hurt you I dont know how my husband would react but i would shoot someone if they left me no other choice. If your a man and can take on the intruder I think that would be the best  but you deal with what god throws at you at the time I shoot all the time and im good so I would feel comfortable if god puts me in that situation to protect my family  ;]   

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I would go into attack mode and that b*** would go down.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Wow...glad they are all ok...

jeweldragons
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Bitch would have been shot in the face.

rayroe2
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:55 AM
Beat them!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaAjax
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:22 AM

Good thing she wasn't armed. Or else.

Quote:

He threw her out of the house. He didn't get his gun and shoot her. He didn't beat her into a bloody mess. He got the threat OUT of the house.

That wouldn't have worked.

Me personally. I beat that bish to a bloody fucking pulp. And then explain to my 8 year old that I love my kids more than anything else in the world and if someone ever tried to lay a hand on them, that person would be wishing for death by the time I'm done with them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)