Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Grocery saving tips

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello mommas - I know there have to be some great shoppers out there. I'm trying to feed my family healthier more natural meals and would like to know any tips you have in doing this.......we shop at Kroger!

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Quit bying anything processed or made for qick and easy. No instant anything. 

I save the most on my grocery bill by not using commercial cleaning products and laundry soap. I've totally eliminated everything but dish soap from my regular groceries. And for dish soap I buy blue dawn for a reason.

I clean with white vinegar, baking soda, peroxide and lemon juice. I have 2 of the huge bottles of lemon juice in my fridge right now and I've had them for about 3 months. They'll last me probably another 3. I buy a gallon of white vinegar every other month. One bottle of peroxide every month and a huge thing of baking soda about once every 6 months. 

I make my own laundry soap and for about $25 I can make enough for an entire year AND it's front loader friendly AND it works better than the crap you buy in the store. One box of Borax, one box of Arm & Hammer Washing soda and about 5/6 bars of Fels Naptha per year. 

I buy one gallon of fabric softener per year for a family of 5. I've cut cheap sponges into small chunks and they go in a jar full of the softener. Take one out, ring it out into the jar so it's just damp and toss in the dryer instead of fabric sheets.

Floors, counters and surfaces are a mixture of water, white vinegar, lemon juice and peroxide. Vinegar is actually a much better cleaning agent than most chemicals. For the oven and shower I add blue dawn and baking soda to that. Let sit for about 1/2 hour and just wipe away.  

By doing that I've made it so that we can eat very well on our limited budget. I buy meat in bulk and divide it up into meal sized packages. Usually about a month of meat at a time at Sam's club (or Costco or BJ's or whatever you have)-do not do it the first 10 days of the month!!! It's a zoo in there and the meat is picked over pretty quick between food stamps and social security deposits. 

I try not to buy much in the way of cereals, but my kids LOVE the frosted shredded wheats. I stopped buying the boxed cereal and buy the bagged ones at Wal Mart. The kids like it better and it's definitely a lot cheaper. 

I buy EVERYTHING I can in bulk. Noodles, rice, spices... Anything I can purchase a larger amount and use as I go or divide up. It really makes a big difference. 

The only crap food I buy anymore is one Sams Club case of Kraft Mac & Cheese and 2 cases of ramen packages-not the cups. My kids eat the ramen like potato chips-dry. If they need to make something easy and quick when I am not around they have the mac and cheese. Sometimes we'll go thru a case of Kraft in a month and sometimes it's every couple of months just depending on what's going on. 
I do keep low sodium soups in the house too, but they tend to stay here until I use them in a recipe.

Cut down anything with a lot of salt in it. I've found high sodium foods are usually the ones that I probably shouln't be eating anyway-processed, microwaveable crap.  

KJH78
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Ok, so those are some great tips for cleaning...what type of foods do you cook/make with non-processed foods? What is your food budget?? We're a family of 3.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Quit bying anything processed or made for qick and easy. No instant anything. 

I save the most on my grocery bill by not using commercial cleaning products and laundry soap. I've totally eliminated everything but dish soap from my regular groceries. And for dish soap I buy blue dawn for a reason.

I clean with white vinegar, baking soda, peroxide and lemon juice. I have 2 of the huge bottles of lemon juice in my fridge right now and I've had them for about 3 months. They'll last me probably another 3. I buy a gallon of white vinegar every other month. One bottle of peroxide every month and a huge thing of baking soda about once every 6 months. 

I make my own laundry soap and for about $25 I can make enough for an entire year AND it's front loader friendly AND it works better than the crap you buy in the store. One box of Borax, one box of Arm & Hammer Washing soda and about 5/6 bars of Fels Naptha per year. 

I buy one gallon of fabric softener per year for a family of 5. I've cut cheap sponges into small chunks and they go in a jar full of the softener. Take one out, ring it out into the jar so it's just damp and toss in the dryer instead of fabric sheets.

Floors, counters and surfaces are a mixture of water, white vinegar, lemon juice and peroxide. Vinegar is actually a much better cleaning agent than most chemicals. For the oven and shower I add blue dawn and baking soda to that. Let sit for about 1/2 hour and just wipe away.  

By doing that I've made it so that we can eat very well on our limited budget. I buy meat in bulk and divide it up into meal sized packages. Usually about a month of meat at a time at Sam's club (or Costco or BJ's or whatever you have)-do not do it the first 10 days of the month!!! It's a zoo in there and the meat is picked over pretty quick between food stamps and social security deposits. 

I try not to buy much in the way of cereals, but my kids LOVE the frosted shredded wheats. I stopped buying the boxed cereal and buy the bagged ones at Wal Mart. The kids like it better and it's definitely a lot cheaper. 

I buy EVERYTHING I can in bulk. Noodles, rice, spices... Anything I can purchase a larger amount and use as I go or divide up. It really makes a big difference. 

The only crap food I buy anymore is one Sams Club case of Kraft Mac & Cheese and 2 cases of ramen packages-not the cups. My kids eat the ramen like potato chips-dry. If they need to make something easy and quick when I am not around they have the mac and cheese. Sometimes we'll go thru a case of Kraft in a month and sometimes it's every couple of months just depending on what's going on. 
I do keep low sodium soups in the house too, but they tend to stay here until I use them in a recipe.

Cut down anything with a lot of salt in it. I've found high sodium foods are usually the ones that I probably shouln't be eating anyway-processed, microwaveable crap.  

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I spend about $500 to $600 a month for the 5 of us. If I am careful about not buying snack crap I can keep it at about $500. 

What do I cook... I am a terrible cook! LOL!
We eat a lot of chicken breast and we'll have home made chicken alfredo, chicken salads a lot-we really like the mesquite chicken breast from Sams for that and we eat it a LOT. I get creative and throw whatever I have into a casserole dish with chicken breasts.
I usually make 2 whole chickens about twice a month. They serve as a meal one night and a casserole for another night.
My kids would eat Tuna Salad 24/7 if I'd let them.
Spaghetti is our go to for a quick and easy meal quite often. I buy italian sausage in bulk and the odd numbers get cut up for Spaghetti meat.
If I can find do steaks for a good price we'll have broiled steaks a couple of times in a month, but usually that's when we are short at least one kid.
Italian sausage is a favorite around here with fried onions and green peppers.
In the winter months I make stew often. I keep frozen veggies from Sams in the freezer and if I don't have fresh the frozen ones go in there, potatoes and anything else I have handy.
We hunt so venison is a big part of our diet from about November thru January-it's gone now! When we all get our tags filled? We can eat venison into the summer and that brings our grocery bill down to under $400.We'd prefer to have venison if we can.
If I can get good roasts for a good price that's another favorite. ANYTHIG that can go in the slow cooker and cook all together is a favorite for me.
We eat a limited amount of potatoes if we can. My 15 year old is a wrestler and because of it we are very conscious about foods that have at least SOME nutrients in them and potatoes are kind of useless carbs. I use them in stews and with roast, but otherwise I shy away from them.
My kids and I eat most veggies. My husband? CORN. That's it.
Taco Salads are a favorite. I don't buy Taco shells but instead I buy a bag of cheap tortilla chips. Salsa is also bought in HUGE bottles.
The kids eat breakfast at school now, but when they were home they were big fans of pancakes and waffles. Not boxed waffels! Both are nice because you can throw fruit and whatever in them. My son will throw bacon in EVERYTHING.

I have a total of 6 children including the two that we've taken in, so I don't know how to cook small. I have given up on it and when I make a meal the leftovers get divided into single serving sized baggies and frozen. If i make pasta I make a HUGE batch so we can have it as a side with other meals. Stew and left over roast is great with any beef dish or as a microwave snack/meal when I am not around.
I make something we call garbage that starts with whatever meat I have and some seasoning and then anything else that I can throw in there. It's never the same thing twice. Sometimes it has red sauce, sometimes it is a gravy... Kind of like the story Stone Soup.

Package and freeze fresh veggies when they are cheap in the summer-definitely helps a LOT!!!!

Learn to eat the appropriate serving size for meats and that will really stretch your budget! 

If you can find someone to go in on a half cow or pig or... that makes a HUGE difference in meat costs!!!  

KJH78
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Thanks!

Quoting MamaSnaps:

I spend about $500 to $600 a month for the 5 of us. If I am careful about not buying snack crap I can keep it at about $500. 

What do I cook... I am a terrible cook! LOL!
We eat a lot of chicken breast and we'll have home made chicken alfredo, chicken salads a lot-we really like the mesquite chicken breast from Sams for that and we eat it a LOT. I get creative and throw whatever I have into a casserole dish with chicken breasts.
I usually make 2 whole chickens about twice a month. They serve as a meal one night and a casserole for another night.
My kids would eat Tuna Salad 24/7 if I'd let them.
Spaghetti is our go to for a quick and easy meal quite often. I buy italian sausage in bulk and the odd numbers get cut up for Spaghetti meat.
If I can find do steaks for a good price we'll have broiled steaks a couple of times in a month, but usually that's when we are short at least one kid.
Italian sausage is a favorite around here with fried onions and green peppers.
In the winter months I make stew often. I keep frozen veggies from Sams in the freezer and if I don't have fresh the frozen ones go in there, potatoes and anything else I have handy.
We hunt so venison is a big part of our diet from about November thru January-it's gone now! When we all get our tags filled? We can eat venison into the summer and that brings our grocery bill down to under $400.We'd prefer to have venison if we can.
If I can get good roasts for a good price that's another favorite. ANYTHIG that can go in the slow cooker and cook all together is a favorite for me.
We eat a limited amount of potatoes if we can. My 15 year old is a wrestler and because of it we are very conscious about foods that have at least SOME nutrients in them and potatoes are kind of useless carbs. I use them in stews and with roast, but otherwise I shy away from them.
My kids and I eat most veggies. My husband? CORN. That's it.
Taco Salads are a favorite. I don't buy Taco shells but instead I buy a bag of cheap tortilla chips. Salsa is also bought in HUGE bottles.
The kids eat breakfast at school now, but when they were home they were big fans of pancakes and waffles. Not boxed waffels! Both are nice because you can throw fruit and whatever in them. My son will throw bacon in EVERYTHING.

I have a total of 6 children including the two that we've taken in, so I don't know how to cook small. I have given up on it and when I make a meal the leftovers get divided into single serving sized baggies and frozen. If i make pasta I make a HUGE batch so we can have it as a side with other meals. Stew and left over roast is great with any beef dish or as a microwave snack/meal when I am not around.
I make something we call garbage that starts with whatever meat I have and some seasoning and then anything else that I can throw in there. It's never the same thing twice. Sometimes it has red sauce, sometimes it is a gravy... Kind of like the story Stone Soup.

Package and freeze fresh veggies when they are cheap in the summer-definitely helps a LOT!!!!

Learn to eat the appropriate serving size for meats and that will really stretch your budget! 

If you can find someone to go in on a half cow or pig or... that makes a HUGE difference in meat costs!!!  

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Meal planning has help us alot, I cook often and we buy fruits and veggies to snack on. Buy meats when on sale and stock up if you can. Throw your fruits and veggies in a water/vinegar wash so they stay fresher longer.

momamanda
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

First start off by registering your kroger card online. You can download coupons to your card. They often offer coupons for produce and meat as well as many other items. They will also send coupons in the mail. When you swipe your card the discount will register. it takes us 30 seconds to drive to Kroger so we shop 3-5 times a week. that way we can get all the managers specials. When meat goes on sale, eccspecially like Laura's lean beef and simple truth chicken we buy all of it and freeze it. Organic eggs do not get bought as often so we buy those too. You can get produce this way too eccspecially bag salad. You can get Fruits and veggies that will go bad soon You can buy them and if you won't use them right away you can cut them up and freeze them for later use. We will also buy milk this way since we have a deep freezer. Milk that expires within 2 days will get marked down till .99 a gallon, regular 3.59, We buy it all and freeze it. We can go through 1 gallon in a day or 2. to defrost it put it in the sink over night. It will be defrosted and still ice cold in the morning. Bread also will go on sale when it is set to expire. We buy it and freeze it. Mic a piece of bread for 10-20 seconds or toast it. Watch their sales and stock up when you get a good price.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Meat, fruits, and veggies with some carbs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KJH78
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Yes, I understand that. How do you eat healthy on a regular basis with the cost of fresher foods? I think I need  to start my own garden of some of our favorites.

Quoting Janet:

Meat, fruits, and veggies with some carbs.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:30 AM

I like Aldi, Walmart and the $Stores have some good deals in their food sections too.

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Eating healthy is expensive. Get lots of frozen veggies. Fresh fruits. We get alot of bananas. They are the cheapest fresh fruit in our grocory store.Stay away from anything that has artifucial sweetners. Especially Splenda. That crap is a lie. it contains sugar which still ends up turning into unnesesary fat. That means diet soda too. That is bad stuff. Baked meats. If you have a grill or george forman grill then that makes yummy tasty meats and cooks out alot of fat. starches that dont contain alot of sodium. Sweet potatoes are wonderful and so good for you. Believe it or not, white bread is actually better for you than wheat. Make sure its whole grain.   Stay away from juices. they contain loads of sugar but you can also delute it. Gives your water flavor and saves money. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)