Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:30 PM
  • 15 Replies

Just curious how others would feel if this happened to them.  My son had a wonderful birthday party today!!  We sent out invitations weeks ago just to be able to get a count of who would be coming and who would not.  Only a few responded.  One of the people who responded they were coming is family and has 2 children.  Today we receive a text she cannot make it, so that was 2 children less.  Her brotholding giftsher who also has 2 children did not respond so we decided to just call to make sure he was coming which he has always shown to the parties as we do his.  He responds he cannot make it he has too much going on.  So now we are less 4 children.  Then one more family member decides today to text us and says she cannot make it she only has a 4 month old but still it is unbelievable.  We prepared all the goody bags lots of pizza and cake not to mention the expense of a swim party.  They were all on my boyfriends side of the family clearly he was hurt.  My son could have very much invited more children from school but we told him we need to invite family and friends.  I am thankful that everything turned out great ! However, I just can't get over the fact of them all texting the DAY Of the party to inform us they were not coming !  And one did not even bother to let us know at all if we would have not called.  While I can understand not everyone can make every party I would have felt more respected if we were told before the day of the party.  My son did cry when he found out they were not all coming it broke my heart.  That made me more furious. He got over it pretty quickly but it still hurts.  The party did turn out nice and my son enjoyed himself so much and that is what matters the most. I just wish they would have been more considerate.  I guess I learned my lesson rethinking the invites for next year. 

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:02 PM

This is the way things go these days. Back in the day people actually RSVP'd by the date, sent thank you notes and had some common courtesy. Not so much any more!

Kellyjude1
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Apparently you are right.  I just don't understand how anyone could be so inconsiderate.  

catchup29
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Agreed. People are too self absorbed, and some are actually busy. Life moves much faster now then it use to.

I had a party for each of my children three times. At 6, because they have new school friends. At 10 because theh are entering a nee phase in life. And then at 18.

I think parties are too much work for little appreciation.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

This is the way things go these days. Back in the day people actually RSVP'd by the date, sent thank you notes and had some common courtesy. Not so much any more!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catchup29
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Agreed. People are too self absorbed, and some are actually busy. Life moves much faster now then it use to.

I had a party for each of my children three times. At 6, because they have new school friends. At 10 because theh are entering a nee phase in life. And then at 18.

I think parties are too much work for little appreciation.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM

BTW-I think it gets better as kids get older and people can drop their kids off! 

Kellyjude1
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Sorry I just find this completely selfish and especially coming from family.  We would not do this to them.  While I can understantd not being able to come they should have called well before the day of the party.  Clearly we were just brushed off as if this party did not mean anything to them.  I just wonder how they would feel if the tables were turned.

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM

You are absolutely right, but that isn't going to change the world. It's just plain rude, but we live in a very self centered society now days. The only people you can change or make a difference with are your own children and yourself. 
You can say something to them if you find the right words, but chances are they are just going to think you're being over the top and not see the reality of the situation.

Quoting Kellyjude1:

Sorry I just find this completely selfish and especially coming from family.  We would not do this to them.  While I can understantd not being able to come they should have called well before the day of the party.  Clearly we were just brushed off as if this party did not mean anything to them.  I just wonder how they would feel if the tables were turned.

Kellyjude1
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM

You are right they would feel as if we were over the top for saying anything.  Until its done to them they just don't understand...lol

MichelleMc
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Exactly! It is just how it is anymore. It is very sad, but it is how it is now.

Michelle, Zumba & Body Combat Addict
Proud Mom of Jonathan, My Future Soldier, Civil Air Patrol Cadet, Eagle & Vigil Scout
Proud Navy Submarine Vet WifeTo Jake

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Sorry mama! :( People are self absorbed jerks. This is why we do immediate family only at parties.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)