Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

HELP! The English Bulldog drool factory... (piog)

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:26 PM
  • 8 Replies

named Bella is a nightmare with my sofas.  I have always kept the animals off the sofas, but my 90LB English Bulldog knows that the minute we leave the house it's fair game.

How do I know she's been on the sofa? Other than the dog hair rug that covers where she laid, she drools. Worse than a teething baby.

EVERY. DARNED. TIME. we leave I have to come home and clean the sofa cushions where her drool face has laid on it. It's only one sofa in my house that she is in love with.

We bought her a beautiful (and expensive) dog bed that is sized to fit the Titanic in hopes that she'd get the hint and sleep on it. Nope. She'll begrudgingly use it when we are at home or in her line of sight. Once we are out of sight? She's having a paty on the sofa. Right now I am keeping the sofa covered with a red furry Christmas blanket that ALMOST matches and we've taken to putting the wooden TV trays on the sofa whenever no one is sitting in it. Honestly, it looks like crap and I really hate it.

SO... I am looking for a solution. I am not keen on shock training so when I started looking I found Scat Mats, but I'm not keen on shock training. She's a big baby! Or I should say I am a big baby where she's concerned!!! SO... I found a sonic alternative called Sofa Scram. Anyone use it? Or any suggestions?

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Bulldog-Mommy10
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Have you tried some of the sprays, like in petco, etc? They are supposed to be a deterrent - I have an English too, and mine is the same way- big baby! I think they may also have things to attract them to the thing you want them to lay on - good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Bump, Idk.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Maybe crate her when you are not at home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:29 PM

The problem with crating her when we aren't home is that she can't go outside then. We have a dog door. Which wouldn't be too bad if we didn't have wrestling tournaments that we leave at 2am and get home after midnight the next day sometimes. Best case scnario is a 12 hour day for a tournament. If I did that she'd be sitting in pee at the very least. And wrestling is 8-10 months out of the year. The other 2-3 months is Football. Not nearly as bad, but still gone a long time when I am shooting midget, JV and Varsity in a day. 

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Have you looked into training at a local vets office or place like Petsmart? The training classes arent very expensive and they can focus on exactly the things you want to happen or not happen.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I don't have pets but hope things will get better with this.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I would try that spray from one of the pet stores!

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I've thought about it but I am a little afraid to. I have 3 parrots and so many things are toxic to them that I am afraid. For example: did you know if you have a parrot you cannot use Teflon anything? It will kill them within minutes. 

Quoting Pammi86:

I would try that spray from one of the pet stores!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN