Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GERD

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM
  • 16 Replies
Any moms have children diagnosed with GERD? My son is 5 months old and hes had it since he was 1 month old. Hes now on his 3rd medication (prevacid) and idk if its really working :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Not me. BUMP

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Never heard of GERD before.

mommy_2_be_2010
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM
My daughter had it she's 3 yrs old now she's happy and healthy she was also on prevacid and rice cereal at 3 mos i ended up switching her formula for reg milk before she turned a year and that was it.....

Considering your son is so young i don't recommend it though but check with his pedi about rice cereal.

My daughter died in my arms because of gerd and my mom brought her back
Mama110981
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Wow. If u dont mind me asking, what happened? Originally i was breastfeeding so abt a month in is when it started, i had to stop doing that and started giving him prosobee which only made it worse so than he was switched to nutremigen with rice for a thickened feed he was also put on zantac. Problem with that is zantac is so weight sensitive as soon as he gained a pound it would stop working and his dose had to raised... But eventually he maxxed out his dose and i was referred to a pediatric GI, at the time he was 4 months old and the dr said it was the worse case of GERD shes seen in a 4 month old, he was put on prilosec which did nothing for two weeks and now hes on day 5 of the precacid. The vomiting has def decreased but he still arches back in pain... Im so frustrated watching him like this bc theres really nothing that can be done until the right meds are in him but its trial and error. His father had it and his 1/2 sister does too but i only watched her go threw this from the age of 4-8 and my sons father is not in the picture so its frustrating having no one to talk to who can relate or give me advice.
Mama110981
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a condition in which the stomach contents (food or liquid) leak backwards from the stomach into the esophagus (the tube from the mouth to the stomach). This action can irritate the esophagus, causing heartburn and other symptoms.

I had never heard of it before either... Until i met my exs daughter. Its basically severe heart burn in kids

Quoting MistressMinerva:

Never heard of GERD before.

emarin77
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I had Gerd the first few months of pregnancy.  Have you tried changing his diet to only drinking a soy based formula.

Mama110981
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Yes the prosobee was a soy formula. It made him severely constipated so he was switched to nutremigen which is for cows milk allergy and colic. Im just upset that we have to wait 2 weeks to see if a medication will start working only to switch him to something different and whats odd is the prevacid was actually working up until yesterday.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this
My son had it when he was a baby. He had to do just like you are doing with the. Cereal and the meds. He did good one he was on this combo. Sorry your little one is having such a hard time with it. I hope they find something that works.
zacmacsmomm
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:17 PM

The type of formula won't nessesarily make a difference.  My daughter had it too, she was on Tagment.  We did the all the formulas and the rice.  She was on Nutramigen for quiet a while.  I was finally able to just get her on Nestles good start.  She loved that.  She did grow out of it.  She also slept on her tummy, so that helped as well

Mama110981
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Yea i kno the formula is for his cows milk allergy not for the reflux
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)