Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Help! I am in pain and not sure what to do.

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:13 PM
  • 27 Replies
I was speed walking out to the car when I landed in a big hole in the ground and fell. I rolled my ankle and it made a popping sound. I'm assuming I just twisted it or something. I couldn't walk on it earlier. Now I can walk on it as long as I walk with just the ball of my heel down and the rest of my foot pulled up a bit. I tried wrapping an ice pack in a tshirt since direct ice hurt too much. But it kept making my foot go numb and get tingling pains shooting through my foot.

What the heck can I do to ease the pain? It swelled up some but its mostly back to normal now. The pain is in my ankle and the top of my foot by my ankle. There is one small harder bump and one of bigger puffy bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DragonMother10
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:17 PM
You could have a hairline fracture. Go get it checked out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Thanks. If I'm still in this much pain tomorrow I will go to urgent care. I just need something to ease the pain at this point. I'm stuck home alone with 2 kids and no car until the morning. Thankfully they are just watching a movie and letting me lay in bed. :/

Quoting DragonMother10:

You could have a hairline fracture. Go get it checked out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DragonMother10
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Take ibprofuen if you have any. Try soaking it in warm water. Epsom salt in water works best if you have any.

Quoting splatz:Thanks. If I'm still in this much pain tomorrow I will go to urgent care. I just need something to ease the pain at this point. I'm stuck home alone with 2 kids and no car until the morning. Thankfully they are just watching a movie and letting me lay in bed. :/

Quoting DragonMother10:You could have a hairline fracture. Go get it checked out.
splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM
I took 3 already. We don't have any epsom salt but I will try to soak in the tub once the kids are in bed. I have no idea what to do in this sort of situation. Thanks for the advice!

Quoting DragonMother10:

Take ibprofuen if you have any. Try soaking it in warm water. Epsom salt in water works best if you have any.

Quoting splatz:Thanks. If I'm still in this much pain tomorrow I will go to urgent care. I just need something to ease the pain at this point. I'm stuck home alone with 2 kids and no car until the morning. Thankfully they are just watching a movie and letting me lay in bed. :/

Quoting DragonMother10:You could have a hairline fracture. Go get it checked out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

RICE

Rest: do not walk on the injured foot.  Hard with kids when you're by yourself, but walking on a soft tissue injury can be very very bad.

Ice: put ice on the injury and KEEP IT THERE.  Ice reduces the swelling in the injured tissues.  Swelling in a soft tissue injury can cause a worse injury. You can use ice massage on the injured area- take an ice cube and massage the injury in a circular motion, with slight pressure.  This keeps it cold and reduces swelling, improves circulation to the area, and keeps the ice from sitting in one spot on the skin and causing damage.

Compression: if you have an ace bandage or compression bandage or something to wrap the injury tightly to give support, and again reduce swelling.

Elevation: put the injured foot up, at least on a couch level with your hip if not slightly higher. 

You want to minimize the swelling and pressure on the injury as much as possible, or what sounds like a minor soft tissue injury (sprain, strain, etc) could become a more serious injury that takes longer to heal.

DragonMother10
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM
You're welcome.

Quoting splatz:

I took 3 already. We don't have any epsom salt but I will try to soak in the tub once the kids are in bed. I have no idea what to do in this sort of situation. Thanks for the advice!

Quoting DragonMother10:

Love060708kids
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Aww!!  I'm sorry!  :(

These ladies already gave you awesome advice.

goodmama85
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Oh no I'm sorry to hear that :(  hope you start feeling better soon.

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Thanks so much! I'm icing as much as possible and elevating it right now.

Quoting preacherskid:

RICE

Rest: do not walk on the injured foot.  Hard with kids when you're by yourself, but walking on a soft tissue injury can be very very bad.

Ice: put ice on the injury and KEEP IT THERE.  Ice reduces the swelling in the injured tissues.  Swelling in a soft tissue injury can cause a worse injury. You can use ice massage on the injured area- take an ice cube and massage the injury in a circular motion, with slight pressure.  This keeps it cold and reduces swelling, improves circulation to the area, and keeps the ice from sitting in one spot on the skin and causing damage.

Compression: if you have an ace bandage or compression bandage or something to wrap the injury tightly to give support, and again reduce swelling.

Elevation: put the injured foot up, at least on a couch level with your hip if not slightly higher. 

You want to minimize the swelling and pressure on the injury as much as possible, or what sounds like a minor soft tissue injury (sprain, strain, etc) could become a more serious injury that takes longer to heal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Its just been one of those days! I slept *maybe * 3 hours thanks to Kaitlyn. Things went drastically downhill since 6 am lol

Quoting Love060708kids:

Aww!!  I'm sorry!  :(

These ladies already gave you awesome advice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN