Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Ever worked for the family business?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:36 AM
  • 25 Replies
Have you worked for your family's business or do you currently? How did things end? Did you work for your parents or aunts/uncles? I want to hear your story....then ill share mine with you. (It's a really long story) so I look forward to hearing more bc I could really use some advice.
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:55 AM

No, I haven't.

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I worked at my grandparents fish shop (pet store) for decades. Loved it!

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I have not done this.....hope things will work out for you....

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:10 AM
I have never done this..Good Luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mdawn028
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM
I helped my husband scrapping scrap metal before and stuff we got along at times and then sometimes he can be so bossy at times I got aggravated at him for being that way to me at times we had good days at times we didn't. Sometimes we did get along well I was happy to get to spend so much time with him though. Then I will be honest at times I hoped he would find another job. I got wore out scrapping is rough and at times he seemed to forget I am a woman and some things are way way to heavy to be lifting really for me or him. He has a good job as a hog farmer working at Cargil in Morrilton Arkansas now. I miss not getting to be with him so much now. I will be honest sometimes I like my peace and quiet too. He is going to be taking vacation days and gets off on the 17,18,19,20,and 21. Of this month I will be happy to be able to spend time with him it will be good for both of us spending time together.All I can say is some people get along working for the fam. Buis. And some have problems and don't.
mdawn028
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM
I would love to hear your story please do tell.
mdawn028
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM
ButtonsMama44
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Here's the story.....this isn't even the longest version :)

I'm 29 years old, I worked for my parents business for over 9 years. (Other than having a few other jobs- in restaurant biz- this was the only real job I ever had). I went from customer service, to office manager, to dispatcher/office manager, to bookkeeper. My younger sister has worked there for 5 years, both my parents work there and my husband worked there for over 7 years. (That's where husband and I met).

Day in and day out we were all always together. We were always such a close family
(Something that took my husband some getting used to) and would not only be at work together everyday but would often have dinner together or hang out on weekends. (A lot
Of you might be thinking- holy cow where are the boundaries?!) lol well there weren't any.

Side note: my husband and I started dating in 2008 and after I moved in with him we were riding to and from work together and spending all day and night together. Again some of you might think this is nuts but surprisingly it worked amazingly well for us. That's how our relationship formed was at work- being friends-
So it worked.

After years and years of all working together and spending time together so much-
You can imagine that things would get tricky sometimes. There were 3-4 major blowouts between all of us- most often the blowouts would revolve around my dad (boss) and work.
After every blowout everyone would cool down and then we'd find a way to talk it out and try to move on.

Side note #2: my dad has been doing this for over 30 years and has made a lot
Of sacrifices in life to make things the way they are today- something we all recognized. However that doesn't mean we all have to sacrifice the way he did- times have evolved and changed and things are different. My
Dad is very stubborn and "my Way or the highway" and thinks we don't know any better bc we didn't go through what he did to get here today. One of the issues would Often be that my dad had a hard time letting go of the control to my husband, myself and my sister. (We were the "management team"). My husband was working his way to being the GM so that when my dad was able to walk away it would all be under control. I never wanted a GM role bc I knew I always wanted to be a mom first. My Younger sister was going To eventually work her way up as well and assist my husband. This was how we all wanted it to be.

Time and time again my dad would never quite relinquish control fully to my husband. It wasnt that he didnt trust my husband to do it but part of it was that my husband had some different point of views on things and some "new age" ideas and my old school dad just didnt get it.

Last spring there was a series of events that happened and it finally pushed my husband over the edge. (Husband and I had discussed previously that maybe he would give his notice but he would offer to stay til end of 2012 to help out and train new person). But things happened and that was no longer reality. So on June 1st my husband put his 2 week notice in- total shock to my dad. But it needed to be done. My husband and I were on the brink of going crazy- so he did what he thought was best for us (and our daughter).

At this point things were obviously starting to become weird between us and my family. Less than two months later I was (in my opinion) forced to quit. My discharge sheet said "conflict of interest" bc my husband had started his own company (same field of work) bc it was all he knew. Either start his own or work for the competition.

I know there are some points I'm forgetting or leaving out so you can ask questions

Before choosing to quit my husband (about a month prior) had asked my dad if he ever chose to leave would that disqualify me somehow from getting my ownership in the company. My dad said no. So this was a huge factor when my husband made his decision. (If I wouldn't get my ownership then he wouldn't of quit so soon leaving us hanging financially).

Side note #3: our daughter is 21 months old and from the day she was born until the day I quit I had been allowed to work from home.

When I felt I was forced to quit I was given the decision to continue working for my dad as long as I was willing to work full time IN THE OFFICE forcing us to find daycare: ie: my mom which my dad was trying to encourage. This was NOT an option. I didn't want to stop workin from home- and I didn't want to stop spending every day with my daughter- raising her and taking care of her. My dad knew I wouldn't work in the office and he didnt want to fire me and wouldn't lay me off so I had no other choice but to quit.

When I quit I asked if I would still get my ownership- my dad basically laughed in my face and said that I was quitting so why would I still get it. I was appalled and in shock so I didn't say much (all the while throughout this process of me leaving the company my husband would say "if your dad takes your ownership I'm done with him".) All my life and throughout my career working for my dad I was always told I'd never have to worry about money bc my financial future would be taken care of by the business. So for those of you that might be thinking I'm greedy- I'm not. This picture was painted for me over and over and I believed it.

But when I quit- I lost my ownership. (Let me also mention that I never "had" ownership in hand, it was just something that I was always told I would have but didnt know when). This was it for my husband. He couldn't believe that my dad could do this to me....to us....to our daughters future.

Since then it's not been good.

I can explain the "since then" part if anyone is interested but I already feel bad that I've written such a novel already. Lol

If you've read til now- I appreciate you listening. Really :)

Any thoughts.....opinions, advice or questions welcome.

Quoting mdawn028:

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Nope

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I worked for my mother when I was younger for several years. It ended when we moved away for my husband's career. I currently do all of my father's book keeping as well as the book keeping for my husband and his brother. I also have my own business and my kids have worked for both me and my husband. We have one that it's never going to be a good mix with, but the others have worked well with both of us. The younger two more with me than my husband. Both are a bit artistic and photography is more up their alley. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN