Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I am going to ask something and hope no moms hate on me cause of it going to be honest I smoke cigarettes does any one else have this addiction also?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM
  • 14 Replies
2 moms liked this
I am being honest I hope no moms hate on me cause of it. I am a smoker I smoke cigarettes I have had this habit for yrs. Now I ended up quitting for 9 months or more and then going back to it now I can't seem to be able to quit again at all. My husband wanted me to quit when we get pregnant again. But last time last yr. In June is when I went back to smoking. I ended up getting pregnant I tried to quit while I was I couldn't.I lost my baby July 28th 2012 not to that reason OBGYN said that wasn't the reason he said some women just end up having a mc I was heart broken even though I smoked didn't mean I didn't love my baby didn't mean that at all I just struggle with this addiction. It took us 8 yrs. Of trying to get pregnant with my baby I lost. It happened on my husband's b-day.My baby would have been due March 5,2013. It has been 9 months since my loss. We are ttc again I pray I get pregnant again I am hoping to hopefully be able to quit smoking but it doesn't look promising I try I go back I try I end up buying them again. I don't and can't say that when I get pregnant again I will be able to quit. My husband told me he doesn't think I am ever going to be able to quit again. Did any of u moms smoke and still be blessed with a healthy baby? Did u be able to quit and how did u do it? I hope no one thinks I am a bad mom. I judge myself and am hard enough on myself as it is. I am respectful when others that don't smoke are around me I go away from them and outside. Some of my friends have children and smoke too they smoke outside.So when I visit I go outside when I smoke. I do my best to.respect others. Please I hope no one thinks I am a bad person because of it I didn't want to tell any moms on here cause I didn't want to be thought of as a bad mom and person. Hope we all can still be friends. I have told my secret and poured my heart out to other moms. Love ya'll . Dawna
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chattycassie
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Don't beat yourself up its an addiction its hard to kick. I smoke and have smoked since I was 11 that is 23 years now. I have three daughters although not the best thing to do I smoke with all three pregnancies. I have three healthy happy girls with NO medical problems. My oldest daughter is 14 and has only been on RX medication 2 times in her life. Smoking did not cause your miscarriage lots of things do. I lost 2 babies before I had my three wonderful girls. Keep your head up and keep trying one day you will kick this habit. :)

leeleelh
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I smoked for 10 yrs.  I quit on the patch.  They now say that you can do two things like the patch and lozenges.  Call your insurance company and local hospital to ask about smoking cessation.  The last hospital I worked for had a group smoking cessation for around $125/ 8 sessions and we had one on one with a NP and you could see her as many times as you wanted.  

mdawn028
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Thank u u just brought tears to my eyes it is good to know I am not alone u have given me hope. Thank u. Sincerely, Dawna

Quoting chattycassie:

Don't beat yourself up its an addiction its hard to kick. I smoke and have smoked since I was 11 that is 23 years now. I have three daughters although not the best thing to do I smoke with all three pregnancies. I have three healthy happy girls with NO medical problems. My oldest daughter is 14 and has only been on RX medication 2 times in her life. Smoking did not cause your miscarriage lots of things do. I lost 2 babies before I had my three wonderful girls. Keep your head up and keep trying one day you will kick this habit. :)

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I smoked on and off for 20 years, was never addicted though. I smoked because I enjoyed it but because I had to. Don't be too hard on yourself, fighting an addiction is tough.

Aireeahnah
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:24 PM
I was lucky enough just to quit a few months before I conceived DD, as if God gave me the opportunity before I even knew what he had in store for me. I was a pack a day plus smoker and I quit cold turkey. I hope you don't see what I have to say as rude in any way because I am just going to tell you what worked for me.

First off, they may have said smoking was not the initial cause of the miscarriage, but it certainly did not help. Smoking is partially mind altering in a way because your addiction to it almost convInces you that it helps to relieve your stress. The reality of it is that it elevates your heart rate and blood pressure, and essentially makes breathing a chore, which causes your body to with twice as hard to deliver oxygen to your blood, your blood, which is trying to deliver nutrients and oxygen to your baby when you are pregnant, and your body is already in overdrive. It physically stresses you out even if it mentally relieves you. It did not cause your mc but don't you want your body to be as ready to promote a healthy baby as possible?

First off, weaning never worked. It was either no cigarettes at all or I would cave and return to my addiction full force and I have observed that most people are the same. A couple times I attempted to smoke at work and the guilt was overwhelming, even though I knew no one in my family could find out. It is not about what others will think of you, it is about how long you want to lie to yourself. People often say that they can't remember their want to quit smoking when they pick one up, but I do not believe that this is the case. I think people choose to be forgetful of these things when they want to have a cigarette, and allow themselves to ignore what their life would be without one to momentarily justify the action. For a long time I had to stay away from other smokers and smoking areas to avoid the temptation of watching the hand to mouth fetish. Even now, a year and some months after quitting I still have passing thoughs. But eventually the addiction talking to you isn't worth much. You have to take pride in making the right choices and it becomes second nature. My SO still smokes around me and I have no desire for it. I know my baby needs me around healthy more than I will ever think I need a cigarette.

I am sorry for your loss, and good luck.
mdawn028
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Thank u for replying. I would like to be friends.

Quoting goddess99:

I smoked on and off for 20 years, was never addicted though. I smoked because I enjoyed it but because I had to. Don't be too hard on yourself, fighting an addiction is tough.

MJP76
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry for your loss, but don't you think it's a little selfish to TTC again without quitting first? Not hating on you just giving you a reality check. You say you try and be respectful of others that don't smoke, but that's just not the case when it comes to your unborn child? I would think you'd try to respect your unborn child above all else.

ive never had an issue with quitting smoking when I needed to. I quit cold turkey with both of my first two pregnancies and continued to stay quit while I breast fed. Before my 3 pregnancy I quit permantaly.

it wasn't really an issue of fighting addiction, it was an issue of doing right by my children.

SeabeeWife2011
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM
I have smoked on and off for as long as I knew my boyfriend who is now my husband. I quit the minute I found out we were having a baby and 2 he would never allow me to smoke while pregnant. Best thing I ever did. However I'm not going to lie when I say that during the first month I wanted to smoke so bad to get the edge off but I was pregnant. I worked my ass off at work instead until it was time to leave. Your brain is tricking you into thinking you're addicted. Why not look into resources in trying to quit?
splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Have you spoke to your dr about quitting? Maybe there are more options out there that you haven't tried yet. If you want a healthy baby you need to make sure you are healthy as well.

Pink_Frog
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I smoked 5-6, but quit around 23ish. I grew up in a household of smokers. Guess that's why I started. I always got teased in school because my clothes would smell. No one would let there kids come over for a sleep over. I swore I'd never do that to my kids. I struggled for over a year. Good luck to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN