Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

car seat facing forward

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:57 PM
  • 45 Replies
How old should a baby be to face forward in their car seat,,i have 4 friends kids from 8 to 12 months plus two cousin one with 9 month and otherher daughter just turned 12 months last week all of these babies have been for a while already facing forward in their car seats all of them asked me why is my son not facingforward he is 13 months, i read kids should be at least 1 yr old to face forward, or 2 yrs old.i want my son save so he is not facing forward yet and won't be for a while i also told them is not save yet all responded with a its cuz like this i can see her/him,, her/his feet touch the seat he is to big now, she/he doesn't like facing that way, or i like it this way its ok she/he is big enough,, i told then what i had read, its not save and if an accident baby can get really hurt. they didn't care,, my son is my first baby so i did alot of reading before he arrived, am i wrong or are they just being stupid not caring about their kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grneyedormom
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:04 PM
2 moms liked this
12 months and/or at least 20 lbs in my state. I believe that APA is now recommending rear facing up to 24 months.
Kris_PBG
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:06 PM
4 moms liked this
You are very right.

What they are doing is not only illegal, but stupid.

A 1 year old is 500% safer when allowed to remain rear facing in an appropriate car seat.
Knightquester
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I think there's more knowledge about rear facing and forward facing than even when my kids were babies/toddlers.  I think it's also great that you're asking and researching which is something I don't think crossed my mind, but then again places like Cafemom wasn't around nor did we have the Internet when my children were babies/toddlers.

Somebody here on Cafemom linked this video:

Here's the url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8

I I don't think your family and friends are stupid and non-caring.  People have their own views on this and there's not enough cemented facts and laws thrown out there to inform people what the right decision is, most are just uninformed.  I wouldn't worry about what other peoples decisions are, nor would I make a decision because others are doing it too.

Do your own research, maybe even talk to those who work as paramedics, fire-department, and police since they would see more accidents than most and come to your own decision.  Good luck whatever you decide.

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

The law is AT LEAST one year old. But its recommended that they stay rear facing until 2 years.

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh and I think its 1 year AND so many pounds. I'm not sure on the exact weight though. Research laws in your state and you can find out specifics.

favi_donnie22
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Thanks ladies, very helpful, I'll try talking to friends and familysee if i can change their mind as for my son he will face forward when its time at least 24 months
SlapItHigh
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

At least 2yo but preferably older. 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

The law is at least one years old. But, recommended to the age of two.

Pink_Frog
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

My state says 12 months or 20 lbs.

What they are doing is not safe at all !! I hope they never get into a accident. :(

favi_donnie22
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Me to i hope they never her un an accident

Quoting Pink_Frog:

My state says 12 months or 20 lbs.

What they are doing is not safe at all !! I hope they never get into a accident. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN