Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

car seat facing forward

Posted by   + Show Post
How old should a baby be to face forward in their car seat,,i have 4 friends kids from 8 to 12 months plus two cousin one with 9 month and otherher daughter just turned 12 months last week all of these babies have been for a while already facing forward in their car seats all of them asked me why is my son not facingforward he is 13 months, i read kids should be at least 1 yr old to face forward, or 2 yrs old.i want my son save so he is not facing forward yet and won't be for a while i also told them is not save yet all responded with a its cuz like this i can see her/him,, her/his feet touch the seat he is to big now, she/he doesn't like facing that way, or i like it this way its ok she/he is big enough,, i told then what i had read, its not save and if an accident baby can get really hurt. they didn't care,, my son is my first baby so i did alot of reading before he arrived, am i wrong or are they just being stupid not caring about their kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Replies (31-40):
CaileighsMom608
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:54 PM

couldnt have been that tall if she still fit at 18months  

Quoting splatz:

I kept my daughter rear facing for a year and a half & she is very tall. She usually sat indian style.

Quoting CaileighsMom608:

I am assuming that all the moms who keep lil juan and juanita rear facing have short kids am I right?  

I would have had to detach my boys legs to keep them rear facing passed 9 months old.  My boys are 15 and 12 and are 5'9 and 5'7

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 13, 2013 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Um no... Shes always been in the tallest percentiles for height. But, it sounds like you are going to argue with anyone who thinks differently than you.

Quoting CaileighsMom608:

Quoting splatz:

I kept my daughter rear facing for a year and a half & she is very tall. She usually sat indian style.

Quoting CaileighsMom608:

I am assuming that all the moms who keep lil juan and juanita rear facing have short kids am I right?  

I would have had to detach my boys legs to keep them rear facing passed 9 months old.  My boys are 15 and 12 and are 5'9 and 5'7

CaileighsMom608
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

well if that was true she wouldnt fit rear facing.  Sorry I dont like liars.  

Quoting splatz:

Um no... Shes always been in the tallest percentiles for height. But, it sounds like you are going to argue with anyone who thinks differently than you.

Quoting CaileighsMom608:

Quoting splatz:

Quoting CaileighsMom608:

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 13, 2013 at 10:07 PM

How am I lying? She didn't fit rear facing with her feet directly out. She DID fit rear facing with her legs perched up at the top of the seat or with her legs crossed indian style.

Quoting CaileighsMom608:

Quoting splatz:

Quoting CaileighsMom608:

Quoting splatz:

Quoting CaileighsMom608:

Mama110981
by New Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 10:11 PM
I believe its now 24 months old. I actually just went last week to buy a new converitible car seat for ds bc he out grew his infant seat in length not weight. The seat goes to 27" and 22lbs. Ds is 29" and only 16lbs. The new seat can stay rear facing up to 35lbs ( i forget the length) an than i can turn it foward facing till its time for a booster
RADmomma
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM
I think it's 2 years & 40 lbs in my state.
sallymoon
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

she is not a liar, you just do not know the capacity of convertible car seats.  My 42" 5 year old still fits rear facing, so a 99 percentile 18 month old definitely could.

Quoting CaileighsMom608:

Quoting splatz:

Quoting CaileighsMom608:

Quoting splatz:

Quoting CaileighsMom608:

Child Passenger Safety Technician

Tree-Tree
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

My son is happily rear facing he will be 4 in June and is 41" and 29.6 lbs

Amberleigh81
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM
2 moms liked this
Car seats have advanced in size in the last decade or so... some seats allow you to RF to 50lbs!

There's a saying I tell people when they question my decision to protect my child.

"Broken leg - cast it. Broken neck - casket."

Babies' heads are disproportionate in size to their bodies. In a crash, it is safer for the force of the child to go against the seat facing backwards than to stretch out the child's neck and cause internal decapitation.

Quoting CaileighsMom608:

EarlGrayHot
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

YOung babies should ALWAYS face backward and never be in the front seat.  I don't care if you can't see the kid, your friends are endangering their children by facing them forward.  Don't do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)