Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Solidfood and formula

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 10:47 AM
  • 6 Replies
Hi all! I am just wondering if some of you have dealt with the same issue and can maybe give me some good advice.. my son is six months old and has been eating cereal and baby food for about a month now. He loves it! He gets two tablespoons of cereal mixed with two ounces of formula, and a container of fruit every morning for breakfast and the same for dinner. The only thing I'm concerned about is the amount of formula he takes in has decreased. I try to give him at least a four ounce bottle before each solid food feeding but he refuses to drink more than 2 ounces. He of course gets bottles throughout the day but tops out between 20 and 30 ounces in a 24 hour period. I haven't gotten him to sleep through the night yet, he still gets up twice and drinks 6 ounces at each feeding. I read that at 6 months of age they should drink about 32 ounces in a day so I'm wondering if I should cut down on his food or cut out one of his feelings at night so he drinks more formula throughout the day. He is a healthy boy I believe his weight was around 56% he weighs 19 .4 pounds. Can some Moms give me some advice?? It would be much appreciated! Thanks! :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
zacmacsmomm
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I honestly wouldn't worry about it.  He sounds very healthy.  When my son started eating foods we cut back on his formula.  You're son sounds healthy.  Maybe get rid of the night feedings, and then give him a bottle when he wakes up

Kermitthemom23
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Id nix the cereal. Keep up with the fruit and vejjis and see what happens. No reason to cut his food if he likes it but cereal isnt the best nutrition wise and just fills the tummy.
Mandamom1
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I wouldnt worry about it. My dr says between 20-30 oz in a day. And of course the amount of formula will decrease when more solids are introduced. Sounds like 19 pounds at 6 months is doing great :-)

SlapItHigh
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM
I wouldnt cut back his formula in favor of cereal and jarred baby food. There is very little nutrition in either. Weight isn't necessarily the most important indicator. The formula isn't so important for weight gain as it is for brain development.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I wouldnt cut back his formula in favor of cereal and jarred baby food. There is very little nutrition in either. Weight isn't necessarily the most important indicator. The formula isn't so important for weight gain as it is for brain development.
splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM

If hes eating more solids he will eat less formula. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN