Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Honest opinions .. what would you do? (long piog)

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM
  • 13 Replies

Thank you very much for your input. I would like to get as many opinions as I can. I really think our education system is in serious need of reform.. our little ideas one day may grow. I have been asking my friends to write me letters of their ideas..with some time I hope accumulate a good number.. summarizeand consolidate the feedback and hopefully some how some way, get this data to congress. This plan is still in its infancy stage.. i know where i want to take it.. but I havent worked out all the future details as of yet. I figure i'll cross that bridge when I get there. I plan to spend a full year collecting data, with a little prayer and some networking & with the help of the internet.. i hope to get people thinking and responding nation wide. But like I said... this is still an infant... If you or any one here would like to help: Ask your friends/family what would they do. What changes do they think should be implemented to ensure our children a brighter future. have them write/type their responses and email/mail them back. PM me and I will give you my email to forward. They can remain annon but I would like to know county & state and if they have children, to include their grades. If they do not have children, no worries. Thanks again. If you can also inbox me with your county & state and grades of children if applicable. I will be printing these responses out. I also am working on a website/blog where people will be able to see our progress in spreading the word and obtaining data.. and be able to read others opinions. I will let every one know when the site is up and running and give the link. Teachers opinions are very valuable.. please specify under county & state if they are a teacher and how long have they been one. If you know teachers... try your hardest to get them to participate if they can. 

If you had to power to revise the United States educational curriculum, what about grades k-12th grade would you change? You have the power to change any and everything; from time, classes, learning material, teachers, homework, dress code, even what food is served... anything. And all public scooldcountry wide will implement your new policies with out question. What would school be like for the children of the US if you had the power to change it? 

Here is what I would do. 

1.) for all grades k-12th: I would eliminate all junk food. I would have healthy hot meals served and have an open fruit/veggie buffet, where children have the option to choose fresh fruits and veggies according to their preference if they so choose too. I would also start all classes not with homeroom - but in the auditorium where simple but healthy breakfasts are provided to all children: (simple breakfasts such as fresh fruit, cereal & milk, carnation - nutriment type health shakes and bagles with fruit juice or milk options - coffee for highschoolers pending written consent from home)

2.) for grades k-5 I would have start at 9:00 am and end at 5pm: let me elaborate... Little ones tire easily and the early years in brain development little ones are like sponges. I like above would start withbreakfast then class begins by 10:00 am. 30 minutes prior to lunch all children will be allowed recess. Gym for k-2nd grade.. outside for 3rd - 5th and in staggered intervals. Lunch to be served in staggered time increments Starting at 11:30 and ending at 12: 30.. lunch would last 30 minutes. The cafeteria would provide all the above mentioned and for K - 2nd grade, will be eaten in the cafeteria. 3rd - 5th would have the option to remain in the cafeteria or return to their class with their lunch and eat at their desks. (i will elaborate on how this would even work upon request) Then at 1 - 2 pm all students get an hour break where little ones can take a nap, home work can be done, they can put their heads down, color .. just relax for an hour. During this hour I would have stimulating music play over the loud speaker through out the school. SymphoniesSmooth Jazz, classical.. instrumental pieces. Then after 2pm learning would resume until 5pm.  (i will go through curriculum further down)

3.) for grades 6-8th grade: I would have school start at 8:15 am and end at 3: 30 (this way if older children need to pick up younger siblings they will be available) Again starting with breakfast - classes start at 9:15. Lunch - staggered intervals - beginning at 11am - 1:15pm. All kids will have the option to eat in the cafeteria, return to their home class (classes will change - but kids will have a main teacher) in the auditorium where stimulating music will be played (see above) or weather permitting, out side in the school feild. All student will have 45 minutes before classes resume.

4.) grades 9-12: School starts at 7: 15 am and dismisses at 2:30 - this will allow time to partake in extracurricular activities before elementary gets out if student need to pick up siblings or if student work, they can start their jobs earlier and get off earlier. Breakfast then classes start 8:15. Coffee available to students with parental consent. Lunch 10:30 - 12:30 staggered - students allowed 30 minutes and withsame options as above.  High school students will be treated more like adults in the work place. Students will be allowed 3 sick days and 2 personal days each quarter where even if they take these days they will still be marked with perfect attendance (each allowed day requires written consent from parent) - althoughit will be specified if they used their days or not. Anything over would mark an absence. Students that do not take their days all year will be rewarded at the end of the year.

education & curriculum:

K-5: I am fairly pleased with what most public schools teach. My son is in kindergarten and takesspanish, reading, math science computer writing and social studies. I feel that most elementary schools are on teh right track. At the end of 5th grade however each child will be assessed where their style of learning will be established for 6th - 8th grade. children will be grouped with other children in their learning bracket: Auditory learners (those that learn best by listening think in pictures; visual aids such as overhead slides, diagrams, handouts, etc.). Auditory learners best learn through listening (lectures, discussions, tapes, etc.). Tactile/kinesthetic learners prefer to learn via experience—moving, touching, and doing. 

6-8th: students will attend classes geared towards their learning styles: I think they should take all the major subjects: english/grammar, science/health,  history, computers, foreign language, art, music, gym, home economics/wood shop,  math - with some exceptions. All the core math taught in 6th & 7th grade i think is fine - geometry, algebra, fractions, decimals etc. However 8th grade i would have as follows: The first semester all students will get a basic introduction to  more advanced math like trigonometry,parabolas, square roots and the like: 2nd semester students will get to choose a math elective: Core Math: classes that elaborate in the basic math skills that we as adults use every day (multiplication, division, add, subtract, decimals, geometry, radius/diameter, area, perimeter, fractions, averaged, graphs, percentages etc) Intermediate Math: More advanced math then basic,  trig, advanced algebra, formulas,exponents etc. and Advanced Math: Calculus parabolas, etc ( i really dont know.. this is where i started cutting class.. i hated math) classes will last aprox 40 min (5 classes a day)and an A/B alternating schedule. Every day classes: english/grammar,  computers/typing: classes that alternate every other day: math & science, History & foreign language: art & music will have the option to chose take art 2x's a week and music 1 day a week or vice versa and will alternate with gym & home economics 

After graduating 8th grade there will be another learning style assessment and children will be placed in hi-gh school accordingly.

9th - 12. aside from the core subjects, english/grammar & Us history & law. Everything will be electives. Math: Applied math/Accounting (learning to balance a check book/budgeting/money management) MathBusiness (stock market, investments, entrepreneur/start up capital, revenues expenses) Technical Math(calculustrigonometrylinear & curves, algorithms, formulas). Art: chorus, acting, theater arts, design, cooking, instrumental music, dance, practical art (drawing, painting, sculpting etc), creative writing (screen plays, poetry, (non)fiction). Science (biology, anatomy, chemistry, geology, forensic etc). One day a week there will be a class dedicated to resumes, interview skills, college prep and other college & work related skills. This is to prepare young adults for the real world. Technical Skill (wood working, auto/mechanical, electrical, plumbing etc). . I have more but im tired and going into zombie status.. I cant think and do not wat to type any more.. thats the most of it though

by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gabeybaby07
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM

BUMP!

gabeybaby07
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM

BUMP!

gabeybaby07
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 10:20 AM

BUMP!

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Interesting. Good luck!

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM

The thing that bothers me most about the school system in America is tenure. We should really get rid of that. We don't need lousy teachers.

gabeybaby07
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM

thanks! feel free to stop by and share if anything comes to mind. If you'd like to ask friends and family their thoughs, pm me for my email to forward responses. 

Quoting splatz:

Interesting. Good luck!

gabeybaby07
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM

thanks for your input :)

Quoting goddess99:

The thing that bothers me most about the school system in America is tenure. We should really get rid of that. We don't need lousy teachers.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Interesting...

gabeybaby07
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:40 PM

thanks for the response. Feel free to stop back if anything comes to mind. All ideas are welcomed and engouraged. We want to know what you think would be the ideal educational system. There are never wrong answers in matters of opinion :)

Quoting Janet:

Interesting...

gabeybaby07
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM

thanks so much for all the feedback.. keep em coming!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)