Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Money and being a sahm

Posted by   + Show Post
There is no reason for me to feel this way as my hubby always says its OUR money. But does anyone else feel weird spending money on themselves? I haven't got a handle on it yet.. I still feel guilt buying something for myself. I've always made my own money but since having our son a little over a year ago I haven't worked as we decided it works for us for me to be a sahm. Wondering if that feeling ever goes away!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Replies (51-54):
kss12
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:36 PM
We've been together 5 but I've been a sahm for 14 months.. So it's still new to me depending on him. But he knew when we made the decision that it would be that way.. So I shouldn't feel guilty, and he wants to spoil me.. But there's something I just can't get go of yet!

Quoting NikkiGross42:

I hardly ever spend money on myself, Its been four years and it still makes me feel bad.. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NikkiGross42
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Guess it doesnt help that he always has to mention that he is the only one who works. I would gladly work, and have actually applied in several places. No calls back and also day care would cost a ton for the boys.
emaylerocks76
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I do feel weird about spending the house money on myself. Like you, my spouse tells me it is "our" money but it simply feels like I am spending it frivolously. What I decided to do was (at first,) do mystery shops.  This accomplished 2 things. I was able to try new stuff and shop at places I didnt normally from time to time and second, It gave me a little extra cash every now and then. You wont make a lot of money doing it but it is fun. After that, I found out I could work from home. While it was a big adjustment, it allows me to make my own mone and still stay at home with the kids and stuff. Now, if money and bills are not the issue, then a little part time gig may make that feeling go away!

Pammi86
by Pamela on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Well I work part time and dh works full time so I can not say it bothers me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN