Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Money and being a sahm

Posted by   + Show Post
There is no reason for me to feel this way as my hubby always says its OUR money. But does anyone else feel weird spending money on themselves? I haven't got a handle on it yet.. I still feel guilt buying something for myself. I've always made my own money but since having our son a little over a year ago I haven't worked as we decided it works for us for me to be a sahm. Wondering if that feeling ever goes away!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Replies (11-20):
mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Honestly there is never much that I want for myself so I don't feel bad when I get it. For some strange reason when I do dh seems to enjoy it..

myownparadise
by Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM
I haven't always been a sahm, but I am now. I feel no guilt about buying myself things I want. All the bills get paid first, and our children have what they need. I guess my not feeling guilty comes from not seeing my husband for 30 days at a time. He actually encourages me to go out and buy myself things I find that I like.
momofpreemieboy
by Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Yes the feeling goes away. I worked since I was 12 doing odd jobs for neighbors. I worked until I was 38 now I'm a sahm. I was worried about spending my DH's money on myself for a year then realized I worked real hard as a mom, LOL now I don't feel guilty.

Lorik1969
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 7:00 AM
I am so glad I'm from a different generation lol! My husband works, I take care of the kids. The money isn't his, it's ours. If we had to hire people to do what I do every day it would cost a fortune. Quit feeling guilty. You each contribute to the household, just in different ways.
momofsunshine77
by Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 7:08 AM
I consider it our money. Even if I worked it would go into a general "pot" and be considered our money. I don't feel weird spending it. I am actually in charge of the bills and give him money when he needs it. LOL I don't think I could be married to someone who wanted things separate. I feel when you get married you become one and live life together.
jbirdsladie27
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Meh, I will say DH was proud because I bought a new bottle of nail polish yesterday while grocery shopping lol, I have a hard time too, but only because I always get a case if the what ifs.
Edit to add...spending it on the kids, dogs, bills or the house..no problem
heathermarie23
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I work and feel guilty spending money on myself as I feel it should be spent on them... :-/

Eve-marie
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 7:34 AM
  • I havent done anything for myself lately but I started making jewelry at home as a hobby. He gives me money for supplies at first, now I'm selling it and it's beginning to pay for itself so maybe now I'll get my hair done finally.
lwalker270
by Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 7:34 AM
Nope. Not at all.
funny_girl3
by New Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 7:39 AM

I was a sahm until my son was almost 4, I went back to work for 5 years and now I am a sahm for 2nd child, going on 2 years now.  Both times I have felt the same way.  I don't spend money on myself, actually if I spend money on anything besides groceries and toiletries I clear it with my husband first.  He never said that I had to run things by him, but like you said I feel like I didn't work to earn the money and it's not mine to spend.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)