Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Money and being a sahm

Posted by   + Show Post
There is no reason for me to feel this way as my hubby always says its OUR money. But does anyone else feel weird spending money on themselves? I haven't got a handle on it yet.. I still feel guilt buying something for myself. I've always made my own money but since having our son a little over a year ago I haven't worked as we decided it works for us for me to be a sahm. Wondering if that feeling ever goes away!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Replies (21-30):
Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I worked for 11 yrs in our hospital in my town. After i had my second daughter and had babysitter issues I had no choice but to stay home. I worked afternoon and late evenings so i couldnt put them in our really crappy daycare in this town and couldnt find anyone to keep them that late. Its tough. Its been 6 months since i had to quit and it feels wierd. I still have my credit card. I get to spend a little if i need to and he pays the little bit off that week. I have never bought anything for my self. He buys my personal stuff that i need when we go shopping on Fridays. But i am really in need of some new clothes for warmer weather so he is gonna take me shopping to do that sometime soon. I do have that feeling all the time. I have cloth diapered my babies to save money and i make our own laundry soap. It helps

nurse1997
by Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM

You guys are a family who cares who makes the money heres a thought you carried your baby does that mean hes not your husbands son because you carried him no dont worry honey whats his is yours and whats yours is his  !!!  

jdsmell7
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I've been a SAHM for a little over 2yrs & NEVER had that problem! Mainly us ause I do ALL the housework, cooking, cleaning, bills, budgeting,  errands, laundry, & most of childcare for our 2yr old in addition to running a partine business. Therefore, I do MORE than my share & deserve a little something for my efforts from time to time !

kss12
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM
I do too! I haven't bought anything for myself although if I go out with hubby to a store or something he has me trying everything on and buys it for me. Idk what it is.. I just feel weird without his "approval". Not that I have to ask, but it's just weird lol

Quoting splatz:

Yep! Its been that way since my son was born 7 1/2 years ago. I never spend money on myself. The last two months I have treated myself to a few new tops & it was so nice. I've lost a ton of weight & none of my clothes fit anymore. So, its nice to actually feel good about myself looking nice again. It was worth the splurge. BUT... I still feel guilty lol

kss12
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Generation helps.. Now it's expected for women to work.. Hubby told me he wanted me home with our son and he'd do whatever it takes to make that happen. He also knew my expectations before trying for a baby.. He knew I didn't want to have a baby if we had to put him in daycare or have family watch him all the time.. I may get grief from others by saying this but what's the point in having children if you don't spend time with them!

Quoting Lorik1969:

I am so glad I'm from a different generation lol! My husband works, I take care of the kids. The money isn't his, it's ours. If we had to hire people to do what I do every day it would cost a fortune. Quit feeling guilty. You each contribute to the household, just in different ways.

mysticatgal
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Think of it as taking care of yourself. My dh wants me to be as happy as possible so our son sees that. I still feel guilty but it limits me so I don't go overboard.
mamavalor
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I got a different outlook after having my kids.  Priorities are made and now money is spent on what is needed and saving for the future: retirement for us and college for the kids.  A house full of expensive stuff, expensive vacations, and other luxuries will not take care of me when I grow old.

MumsTheWord571
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Sometimes. I usually buy stuff for the kids without a problem, but when it comes to buying stuff for myself I do sometimes have a problem. Especially if the item in question isn't a need but a want. Lol
Mommy4000
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:50 AM

We have a business together now, so our earnings are truly OUR earnings, but even before, I've never had an issue spending the household income. It's still a partnership and each person does their share to contribute to the household.

olliesmommy2
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I didnt buy myself anything even when i worked, so thats not an issue for me. But ive been staying home for two years, and i felt that way in the begining, but i buy groceries and things for the house, so why feel bad?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)