Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Money and being a sahm

Posted by   + Show Post
There is no reason for me to feel this way as my hubby always says its OUR money. But does anyone else feel weird spending money on themselves? I haven't got a handle on it yet.. I still feel guilt buying something for myself. I've always made my own money but since having our son a little over a year ago I haven't worked as we decided it works for us for me to be a sahm. Wondering if that feeling ever goes away!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Replies (31-40):
radtasticbritt
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM

ive been with my SO for 3 years now and have known him since i was 14. together we have 3 kids. i also am a SAHM too, as this also works for us. he works and i am home with the kids. like you my SO says it is our money and yet i still feel guilty when he buys me something or says pick something out. i dont know why i still feel this way after so long either.

ms-superwoman
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I make my own money, I don't have these kind of worries.

kss12
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:10 PM
It's weird isn't it? Idk why I feel guilty.. If I buy stuff for our son I don't feel guilty. Even down to feminine products at the grocery store I feel weird. After 5 years I feel weird.. But I've only been a sahm for 14 months, prior to this I've always made my own money. Then again, a few years ago my hubby owned a business and it went under due to the economic change, now he's back up and running but during that time (year and a half) I was paying all the bills and providing.. So we are even.. But he also felt guilt when I bought him things.. When he got gas he'd always call before to make sure I ok'ed it. We communicate about finances often, he still asks me if its ok for him to spend on certain things even though its not money I've earned myself. I guess it's a pride thing!

Quoting radtasticbritt:

ive been with my SO for 3 years now and have known him since i was 14. together we have 3 kids. i also am a SAHM too, as this also works for us. he works and i am home with the kids. like you my SO says it is our money and yet i still feel guilty when he buys me something or says pick something out. i dont know why i still feel this way after so long either.

Lovingmommy1028
by Vanessa on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:10 PM

BUMP!

Whitney15
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I don't feel bad. I was working, and had thought about going back until we realized we would be paying $600/month for childcare.

In my eyes, I'm saving money for me to spend lol

kss12
Good for you.
That wasn't an option for us. Hubby knew if we had kids I'd be the one raising them.. Not a daycare and not a family member. He wanted the same also.. Luckily we can make it work.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

I make my own money, I don't have these kind of worries.

AleaKat
DH puts money in a separate account just for me to do whatever I like with it.
I can save it for the holidays or spend it all on bubble gum but its my responsibility .
kss12
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Hahaha yeah! You'd spend money on childcare, gas to and from work, lunches if you don't have time to bring your own. That wasn't one of the things we had to worry about thank god! Both our parents are here so if we ever got into a crisis and is have to work we wouldn't have to pay for anything!

Quoting Whitney15:

I don't feel bad. I was working, and had thought about going back until we realized we would be paying $600/month for childcare.

In my eyes, I'm saving money for me to spend lol

EvaTheDiva29
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:14 PM

used to. not anymore! it would be different if dh actually spent time with me, or our kids. but since all he wants to do is work, sleep and drink, then fuck him. most of the time im spending on things to do with the kids. but i do get my nails done every few weeks. and if i see something while out shopping i'll get it. 

kss12
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:16 PM
That's nice!
We talked about that but dh said he didn't want to limit me. We are joint and he feels better about that. I have access to all monies as he does.
He said he'd feel like my dad giving me an allowance lol!

Quoting AleaKat:

DH puts money in a separate account just for me to do whatever I like with it.

I can save it for the holidays or spend it all on bubble gum but its my responsibility .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)