Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Money and being a sahm

Posted by   + Show Post
There is no reason for me to feel this way as my hubby always says its OUR money. But does anyone else feel weird spending money on themselves? I haven't got a handle on it yet.. I still feel guilt buying something for myself. I've always made my own money but since having our son a little over a year ago I haven't worked as we decided it works for us for me to be a sahm. Wondering if that feeling ever goes away!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Replies (41-50):
kss12
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Ouch.. Hope that gets better for you!

Quoting EvaTheDiva29:

used to. not anymore! it would be different if dh actually spent time with me, or our kids. but since all he wants to do is work, sleep and drink, then fuck him. most of the time im spending on things to do with the kids. but i do get my nails done every few weeks. and if i see something while out shopping i'll get it. 

AleaKat
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Oh it's a joint account.
I know it seems like an allowance but otherwise it's hard to surprise him with gifts if he sees the regular account.

I've got 800 in there right now I do t rely consider that "limited" lol

Quoting kss12:

That's nice!

We talked about that but dh said he didn't want to limit me. We are joint and he feels better about that. I have access to all monies as he does.

He said he'd feel like my dad giving me an allowance lol!

Quoting AleaKat:

DH puts money in a separate account just for me to do whatever I like with it.

I can save it for the holidays or spend it all on bubble gum but its my responsibility .

ms-superwoman
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Quoting kss12:

Good for you.
That wasn't an option for us. Hubby knew if we had kids I'd be the one raising them.. Not a daycare and not a family member. He wanted the same also.. Luckily we can make it work.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

I make my own money, I don't have these kind of worries.

That's great. I wouldn't ever live off anyone else. So, I knew this was the right way for us. Everyone makes it through life in their own way. :-)

kss12
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Absolutely! A friend of mine couldn't wait to get back to work after having her baby, another cried and cried. For some, work is an escape.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

Quoting kss12:

Good for you.

That wasn't an option for us. Hubby knew if we had kids I'd be the one raising them.. Not a daycare and not a family member. He wanted the same also.. Luckily we can make it work.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

That's great. I wouldn't ever live off anyone else. So, I knew this was the right way for us. Everyone makes it through life in their own way. :-)

Mommy2_two
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I went back to work when our first was 6 months old and I felt weird spending money b/c we weren't married or living together. When my second was born I stayed home with her til she was 5 years old and I had no weird feelings about spending money on anything, even myself.

YMoM22Girls
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Ugh I totally agree with this post. I've been a stay at home mom since my first daughter was born who is now 3. And I feel bad he has to take care of bills + things we need. Wish I could help him but finding a babysitter is a b**** for us.
ambermario4ever
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Yes I feel bad if I buy myself something just because I want it. But if I need it then no. But when it is something that I just want I always feel like I should use the money on the kids or hubby instead. I even feel like that when it is money I earned.

ms-superwoman
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I love working and I love my job. I also love that it is flexible, I have paid holidays, weekends off, summers off, and I work nights. So I get to be home with my son all day and I get to put him to bed. I guess I have the best of both worlds!

Quoting kss12:

Absolutely! A friend of mine couldn't wait to get back to work after having her baby, another cried and cried. For some, work is an escape.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

Quoting kss12:

Good for you.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

kss12
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this
That's not an easy find!!! You're lucky!!

Quoting ms-superwoman:

I love working and I love my job. I also love that it is flexible, I have paid holidays, weekends off, summers off, and I work nights. So I get to be home with my son all day and I get to put him to bed. I guess I have the best of both worlds!

Quoting kss12:

Quoting ms-superwoman:

Quoting kss12:

Good for you.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

NikkiGross42
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I hardly ever spend money on myself, Its been four years and it still makes me feel bad.. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)