Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tonsillectmoy recovery

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM
  • 12 Replies

I'm getting my tonsils out and was wondering anyone that has had it done has any tips for a smooth recovery. I have the main issue taken care of, dh is taking a week off from work to take care of the baby but as far as me; is there anything I can do to make it easier on myself. I hear it is one of the worst surgeries to have done as an adult. 

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goldilocksbecky
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I had it done 3 years ago.  I was in my late 30s at the time.  Be prepared to rest.  Let your husband take care of th little ones.  Stay on top of the pain.  Take your meds!!! Even if they make you groggy or you end up sleeping half the day, take you meds and rest/sleep.  That's what you body needs in order to heal.

Have lots of liquids things ready to go.  I know everybody talks about how you can eat ice cream and milkshakes, but honestly, I think that's just a ploy to try to convince kids at it's "not so bad" (kind of like the sucker or prize box after they get a shot).  For me personally, I couldn't deal with the ice cream (and I LOVE ice cream).  It gave me a slimy, mucusy feeling in my throat that made me feel like I needed to clear my throat.  Kind of like a cat with a hair all.  LOL.  DH had a frosty for me that I took a few bites of in the hour or two right after surgery, but beyond that I quickly found ice cream to be a NO.  I share that to say, don't put all your eggs in one basket in terms of what to have on hand for after surgery.  You might be able to eat ice cream.  You might not.  So have other things on hand.  Soup, Gatorade, mashed potatoes, yogurt, rice, scrambled eggs, mashed banana, etc.  Just have a variety of options ready to go.  Also, I developed a pretty good schedule of take pain meds, wait about 20 minutes or so for them to kick in really well.  Eat.  Go rest.

One thing I wasn't expecting (but learned after the fact is actually pretty common) was ear pain.  They say its kind of a phantom or misdirected pain (kind of like confused nerve sensations), so there's not a whole lot that they can do about it besides the pain meds you're already on.  In other words, you don't have any real problems, infections, issues with you ears that can be treated to ease the pain.   It may be nerves from the ear area that got a little disturbed/aggravated during the procedure and they are sending out weird pain signals.  It may be nerves from the throat area that were cut during the surgery that are rerouting and sending out weird pain signals.  Either way, something is kind of misfiring.  Regardless, I had ear pain that made me want to ram a wire coat hanger through my head!  LOL.   To me, the ear pain was way worse than the throat pain.  If you're getting your tonsils out, there's a pretty good chance you've learned to deal with throat pain. It's not fun, it's not pretty, but you've been there and done that and you know what to expect. Think of the worst strep or throat infection that you've ever had . . . Step it up a notch or two . . .and that's what your throat will feel like for the first couple of days.  I was ready for that.  The ear pain, I wasn't ready for. And long after my throat was starting to feel better, my ears were still killing me.  Again, pain meds and rest are your friends.

also, know that you will still be recovering for a couple of weeks.  Your throat will feel better. You'll be eating like normal.  You'll be down to over the counter meds or none at all. But you will not be 100%.you need to take it easy.  You need to rest when your body is tired.  If your husband has to go back to work the second week,see about getting someone to come over for an hour or so in the afternoons to let you nap.  Or take a nap when he gets home.  Allow you body to rest and heal.  Don't try to jump back in to full Mommy mode to quickly.

Good luck!

Please excuse the typos.  I'm on mobile and I got tired of fighting the autocorrect.

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:04 PM

bump

liamsmommy930
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:35 PM

i had my done in 2006.  I'm 34 now.  yeah it sucked.  Don't let yourself run out of pain medication.  I drank protein smoothies...cold liquids...popcicles...  Take the pain meds as prescribed.... don't let yourself go too long....

Oh and i ended up with bleeding 7 days post surgery. I was laying in bed and stretched. I felt a pop in my throat then constantly needed to swallow. Looked in the mirrow and had clots hanging!  EWWW.  Anyway the ER was able to cauterize 14 places in the back of my throat that started bleeding. :/ 

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm 34 now, lol. Sounds like the shopping list of things I bought at the store yesterday. Also have ice packs in the freezer for my neck. I plan on setting my alarm clock for the pain meds and using an egg timer to wake me up to drink something  so my throat doesn't get real dry. Thanks for the warning about the bleeding.

Quoting liamsmommy930:

i had my done in 2006.  I'm 34 now.  yeah it sucked.  Don't let yourself run out of pain medication.  I drank protein smoothies...cold liquids...popcicles...  Take the pain meds as prescribed.... don't let yourself go too long....

Oh and i ended up with bleeding 7 days post surgery. I was laying in bed and stretched. I felt a pop in my throat then constantly needed to swallow. Looked in the mirrow and had clots hanging!  EWWW.  Anyway the ER was able to cauterize 14 places in the back of my throat that started bleeding. :/ 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM

My vet had it done she said it was very painful. Ear pain Is bad too. I hope it is easy for you.

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:30 PM

thank you. I go in friday so I guess I'l find out soon enough

Quoting Janet:

My vet had it done she said it was very painful. Ear pain Is bad too. I hope it is easy for you.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I'll keep you in mind.

Quoting mrsnoble2004:

thank you. I go in friday so I guess I'l find out soon enough

Quoting Janet:

Bluebell80
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:59 AM

I had it done a few years ago and to be honest it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined but then I did have a lot of people telling me horrible stories!

Straight after the op, whenI was expecting ice cream etc, they offered me toast! But I'm glad I made myself eat it because other poeple in at the same time didn't have it and they got infections. It is horrid but eat something like that, apparently it gets rid of any scabs etc (yuck, sorry) and helps healing.

Drink lots, even if you don't want to and give yourself time and yes, take the meds, don't try and tough it out. It is worth it in the end as constant tonsillitis is awful.

Good luck, it'll soon be over!

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Thanks, I've had tonsillitis for 2 months straight

Quoting Bluebell80:

I had it done a few years ago and to be honest it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined but then I did have a lot of people telling me horrible stories!

Straight after the op, whenI was expecting ice cream etc, they offered me toast! But I'm glad I made myself eat it because other poeple in at the same time didn't have it and they got infections. It is horrid but eat something like that, apparently it gets rid of any scabs etc (yuck, sorry) and helps healing.

Drink lots, even if you don't want to and give yourself time and yes, take the meds, don't try and tough it out. It is worth it in the end as constant tonsillitis is awful.

Good luck, it'll soon be over!

kittycat813
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:05 AM

the recovery is the longers part it toke me three weeks because my was size of golf balls

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)