Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do you keep alcohol in your home? (PIOG)

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM
  • 112 Replies

I had hosted an afternoon get together yesterday with a few friends and invited a couple of my neighbors. 

I noticed that I didnt have anymore soft drinks in my fridge so I opened one of the kitchen cabinets to get out a diet coke for a neighbor. She happened to look up when the cabinet door was open and she was surprised to see that I have a fully stocked bar in there. She was also surprised to see my small wine collection in the server.

She proceeded to ask me why I had alcohol in my home while I have teenagers.  She seems to think that having teenagers at home and having alcohol in the home at the same time is inappropriate and just asking for trouble.

What do you all think?

Do you have alcohol in your home with your kids? 
Do you think it is inappropriate? 

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aodom323
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah I have alcohol in my home, my little one is one though so no issue.  There is no problem with having it there with teenagers though.  As long as you have taught your kids about it and that it is an adult drink and it requires responsibility in order to drink it. I don't see a problem.  

Karla1948
by VS120 Lady on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:28 PM
4 moms liked this

I do not. I've been sober since 1980. I don't even use alcohol based mouthwash.

undrcvrmom
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM
3 moms liked this

No I don't because my husband is an alcoholic.  Congrats Karla on your sobriety:)

Proud-mama-05
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM

We don't normally have it in our home but only because we don't really drink. I see no problem with keeping it in the house with teenagers

insanemomof4
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM
yes we have beer in our fridge and our kids are all old enough to know not to touch it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Yes, but we have no kids at home anymore.

Knightquester
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Do you have alcohol in your home with your kids?

Yes, I didn't when my children were younger because I ran a daycare and I don't believe you should have it in your home if you choose to run a home business where it incorporates other peoples children.

My husband actually works for a famous man that makes movies and owns a winery, so he's given rather expensive wine often as gifts from the company.  Needless to say we have a wine collection, and a few other adult drinks we store up high and out of reach from children.

Do you think it is inappropriate?

No, but I'm sure there are always those fish in the sea that will disagree (like your neighbor), and that's fine too.

My husband and I have never gotten drunk and we don't drink every night or even every week, but we don't feel our children should grow up ignorant to what alcohol is.  My children know about alcoholism, and about the date rape drug, and they know about drunk drivers.  We have talked about the horrors of drinking, and how it can tear your life apart.  Drinking, like any adult decision should be made using commonsense.

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:11 PM

We have wine.

letstalk747
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:57 PM

nope

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Heck yes i have alcohol in my house and she was in the wrong for opening her mouth about your buisness in your home. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN