Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you keep alcohol in your home? (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

I had hosted an afternoon get together yesterday with a few friends and invited a couple of my neighbors. 

I noticed that I didnt have anymore soft drinks in my fridge so I opened one of the kitchen cabinets to get out a diet coke for a neighbor. She happened to look up when the cabinet door was open and she was surprised to see that I have a fully stocked bar in there. She was also surprised to see my small wine collection in the server.

She proceeded to ask me why I had alcohol in my home while I have teenagers.  She seems to think that having teenagers at home and having alcohol in the home at the same time is inappropriate and just asking for trouble.

What do you all think?

Do you have alcohol in your home with your kids? 
Do you think it is inappropriate? 

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Replies (111-112):
Amberleigh81
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:36 PM
I was raised this way. I was the only one of my friends who DIDN'T party, do drugs or drink. If I had an occasional glass of wine at home as a teen, what was I rebelling against? :)

I am still very moderate in my drinking. I plan on allowing my son to choose to drink on special occasions as a teen.

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

We've always had a pretty stocked "bar".  It's never been an issue.  Alcohol has never been a taboo in our home.  On special occasions our children have been allowed to have a little wine with dinner, they are 14 and 19.  I don't care at all if my 19 year old drinks at the house, he doesn't.  But I would have no problem if I saw him with a beer.  If there came a time where hub and I felt that we had to lock up our liquor, there would be HELL to pay.

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:20 AM

See I did party and drink as a teen.  Not a lot, but I did.  My friends were WAY worse and most nights I ended up being a designated driver lol.  Hub and I aren't big drinkers, which is why we have a large supply lol.  We will buy a bottle of whatever to make a specific cocktail and that's it lol.  I do love my wine though.  I would have a glass everynight if I could :) 

Quoting Amberleigh81:

I was raised this way. I was the only one of my friends who DIDN'T party, do drugs or drink. If I had an occasional glass of wine at home as a teen, what was I rebelling against? :)

I am still very moderate in my drinking. I plan on allowing my son to choose to drink on special occasions as a teen.

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

We've always had a pretty stocked "bar".  It's never been an issue.  Alcohol has never been a taboo in our home.  On special occasions our children have been allowed to have a little wine with dinner, they are 14 and 19.  I don't care at all if my 19 year old drinks at the house, he doesn't.  But I would have no problem if I saw him with a beer.  If there came a time where hub and I felt that we had to lock up our liquor, there would be HELL to pay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)