Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Should Sex Offenders Have To Make Themselves Known Beyond the Registry?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM
  • 12 Replies

Sex Offenders Now Required to Post Bright Red Signs in Their Yards -- About Time!

by Jeanne Sager

red front doorDo you know where the pedophiles are living in your neighborhood? What about your kids? Do you want them to know? What if you had no choice, because every sex offender in the neighborhood had a giant red sign planted in their front yard?

That's the new law in Bradford County, Florida, and I have to admit it sounds kind of ... awesome.

Controversial, yeah, but still ... awesome for busy moms like me. 

The truth is, as much as I try to keep up on the sex offender registry, I can't remember the last time I checked it. It was probably months ago, the last time someone said something on Facebook about this creep or that creep moving into the neighborhood.

Pedophiles are scary, but there are plenty of things that pose a much more immediate threat to our kids, things we need to stay on top of. The registry is a great tool for parents, but let's face it: we get busy. We don't have TIME to check it every darn day.

And yet, I want to know if they're out there. Don't you? They may not be the biggest threat to our kids, but it's well known that sex offenders do tend to re-offend.

I want to know if there are houses in the neighborhood I should keep my kid away from, just in case. If there are people I should keep an extra eye on at community events.

Big red signs in the front yard of dangerous offenders would be a huge help for busy moms who don't have time to hit the registry. They'd be a huge help for parents who don't have access to a registry (yes, in this day and age, there are still plenty of folks who have neither computer nor Internet access). They'd be a bright red warning sign to kids to remind them that Mommy said that's a yard that can swallow Frisbees and baseballs; she'll be happy to buy you a new one.

Now if only we could get signs for potential offenders, we'd really feel better about letting our kids wander the neighborhood.

Do you think these signs are good for families? Would they scare your kids?

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:05 PM

It's a great idea. As long as you explain to the kids in a why that it won't scare they should be fine with it.

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I think it's a good idea. The kids would know where Not to go.

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM
2 moms liked this

yes i know where every single one lives in our town that is accounted for. Only one that im worried about is one that actually raped someone years ago and he lives behind my mom. I cant really answer this because alot of the offenders in this town was over something dumb, like being drunk and peeing behind a building or being a 17 yr old girl and the parents pressing charges on a 18 yr old boyfriend. I personally dont think they would deserve that. 

SadeAyosmom
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:22 PM

in a perfect world they would be spayed or castrated.

but ill settle for a tattoo on the face.

kimsamomof3
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Absolutely!!!!!! I really think castration or putting them on a deserted island would be better depending on the offense. Most offenders are repeat offenders!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Defiance
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM
My daughter's father is a sex offender. . .and I agree there should be additional measures taken to notify people in some locations. . . but at the same time- we lived out of city limits. . .and we had people come onto our property and vandalize, leave vicious threats. . .all sorts of uncalled for things. He was a Level 2, I was 6+ months pregnant and HUGE...and even if he was not there with me, they would come threaten me. We broke up, and even to the last minute of me leaving the neighbors took my belongings, broke into my home, vandalized, fucked up my vehicle, yelled at me. I am not even the offender and I got threatened!! No cell phone would call 911 since we were so far out. People are aweful! I understand the fear, but com'mon! Watch your f*ck*ng kids, and teach them stranger danger.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonkeysGrammy
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I would love it! We live in Cape Coral Fl and it is required here that if you have children registered in school a letter must be sent to you whenever an offender moves within 10 miles from you. It is also required that if they are within 2 miles of you then you get a recorded phone message as well. We had 1 two doors away and they had been there for all of 3 days and then I got the call. A big red sign would be awesome! Hell I'll paint it and plant it for you!!

My World...My Life...My Boyz..

Bonez 8/3/91           Big Bear 4/13/94       Stinky 9/26/97giving dad card                bear with heart             ninja         (MonkeysDaddy)

Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree totally with you. It's the same here. Some shouldn't even be labeled sex offenders.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

yes i know where every single one lives in our town that is accounted for. Only one that im worried about is one that actually raped someone years ago and he lives behind my mom. I cant really answer this because alot of the offenders in this town was over something dumb, like being drunk and peeing behind a building or being a 17 yr old girl and the parents pressing charges on a 18 yr old boyfriend. I personally dont think they would deserve that. 

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Yeah, thats somthing that alot of poeple dont think about too. They just automaticly label these people bad when alot of them aren't. 

Quoting Janet:

I agree totally with you. It's the same here. Some shouldn't even be labeled sex offenders.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:08 AM

True!

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Yeah, thats somthing that alot of poeple dont think about too. They just automaticly label these people bad when alot of them aren't. 

Quoting Janet:

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)