Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think her MIL is being unreasonable?

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:53 PM
  • 10 Replies

I need all of your opinions on something.

My nephew is getting married soon. The woman he is marrying comes from a very traditional family. Her family is paying for the entire wedding as per tradition.

My sister and bil are paying for the rehearsal dinner, and all costs associated with the rehearsal. The problem is, the future mil wants the rehearsal dinner at a specific place and wants to inivite all of her family to the rehearsal dinner.

Traditionally only members of the wedding party, their dates/partners and the bride and grooms parents attend the rehearsal dinner. The BIG event is supposed to be the wedding, but she insists on having all her family at the rehearsal dinner.

This is the one thing my sister has had any say in and she even agreed to use the place the future mil wanted. My sister draws the line at having everyone from the other side of the family attend the rehearsal dinner. Not only is it not necessary, it is very costly.

Do you think the future mil is being unreasonable? And should my sister have to pay all that extra money to accomodate all those people because the mil wants it so?

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:56 PM
I do think she is being unreasonable. Your sister shouldn't have to pay for all those people!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Your sister shouldn't have to pay for anyone beyond the wedding party.

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I think the mil is crazy. There is no way your sister should have to pay for all those people not included in the wedding party. 

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Yep, Totally unreasonable. If htey want to host an engagement party for the kids they should do so but the rehearsal is not the wedding and shouldn't include everyone and their brother. 

Jebekarue
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Very unreasonable, but I would tell MIL that if she wants all those extra people to come then she has to pay the difference, that your sister will only cover the costs of the wedding party not anyone else.

GleeFan
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:19 AM

What I don't understand is that if she is as traditional as she says she is, why on earth would she expect all these extra people attend the rehersal dinner. 

Jennyanne322
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Are all these guests out of town guests? You are suppose to have any out of town guests at the rehearsal dinner also. Other then that. Yes she is being unreasonable.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GleeFan
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I think my sister said only 3 of the family members are out of towners

Quoting Jennyanne322:

Are all these guests out of town guests? You are suppose to have any out of town guests at the rehearsal dinner also. Other then that. Yes she is being unreasonable.

elkmomma
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Ummmm...normally I would say that extended family should not be going to rehearsal dinner.  However there are exceptions,  for example, a family member who is be deathly ill. 

TxMamma11
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Yes. And since she's not planning or paying for it she should be told to butt out! Her family can be at the wedding. Stick to tradition, since it seems so important to her anyway.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)