Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 13 year old insist she is fat!

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:17 PM
  • 26 Replies

She is 5'5 tall and a size 5 in pants. Small  and sometimes medium in shirts. She doesn't  want to get weighted and keep looking for excuses to avoid it.   

I am starting to get  super worried. She was just crying about it. I keep telling her she is not but my stupid bitch-in-law/ sorry meant mom-in-law keep making comments on how she is getting a tummy and need to control what she eats and blah blah blah.. My girl is pretty active and eats pretty healthy.

I am super worried about her body image and super pissed at my mother in law! 

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2.5girls
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM
GREAT! THATS ALL YOU NEED AT SUCH AN IMPORTANT TIME IN HER LIFE WHEN GIRLS ARE ALREADY SO SENSITIVE ABOUT THEIR APPEARANCE !!!!! DID DH SAY ANYTHING TO BIL I MEAN MIL??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nickels224
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Ok you need to check your M.I.L  because she should know that messes with kids self esteem. If she can't say anything nice she needs to shut it.

kfroz0415
by New Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:28 PM
I'm 5'5" and between a sz 3 & 5, granted my muscle mass is considered above average, but I weigh 140lbs. Which calculates to a healthy BMI. Iwould have to think your daughter would be similar in build and not even close to fat. Honestly if I were you, I would tell MIL that she's a bitch and she is no longer allowed to speak to your dd until she apologizes and regains her sanity.

On another note, coming from someone who has some pretty huge self esteem issues stemming from the way I wastreated by my family concerning mynweight as a child and teen, if your dd doesn't want to get on a scale PLEASE DO NOT force her. I still remember the time my mom forced me to weigh myself in the living in front of her, my dad, and 3 brothers even though I was sobbing hysterically because of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I would tell my mil to keep her trap shut. Wow. Your dd sounds perfect.

SuperWaned
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM

When mom in law started making these comments Husband  just said to my daughter that she is fine and to ignore what grandma says but honestly I dont think he takes it that seriously.  I am having a serious  talk tonight when he arrives home. 

I already told her  Me and Pediatrician thought she was just perfect and not to add an unnedded stress to her life which she brushed it off with a  " I am just worried because being fat runs in the family"  . Im gonna have HIM talk to her nicely and if she doesnt stop the comments Im gonna have to stop letting my girls be with her. 

Seeing my daughter today... I think the damage is already done!  

Quoting momof2.5girls:

GREAT! THATS ALL YOU NEED AT SUCH AN IMPORTANT TIME IN HER LIFE WHEN GIRLS ARE ALREADY SO SENSITIVE ABOUT THEIR APPEARANCE !!!!! DID DH SAY ANYTHING TO BIL I MEAN MIL??

SuperWaned
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I didnt thought of that! THANKS! All I wanted was to make her step in the wii fit board  for It to tell her she is not fat.  :( 

Quoting kfroz0415:

I'm 5'5" and between a sz 3 & 5, granted my muscle mass is considered above average, but I weigh 140lbs. Which calculates to a healthy BMI. Iwould have to think your daughter would be similar in build and not even close to fat. Honestly if I were you, I would tell MIL that she's a bitch and she is no longer allowed to speak to your dd until she apologizes and regains her sanity.

On another note, coming from someone who has some pretty huge self esteem issues stemming from the way I wastreated by my family concerning mynweight as a child and teen, if your dd doesn't want to get on a scale PLEASE DO NOT force her. I still remember the time my mom forced me to weigh myself in the living in front of her, my dad, and 3 brothers even though I was sobbing hysterically because of it.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:09 PM
This is the time when she could develop an eating disorder! I would really have a serious discussion with your DH about it. If not you will have to do something about your mil.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SuperWaned
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:22 PM

just talked with the bitch in law and that woman is incredible!! I call her that for a reason!

She totally pretended like this was the first time I mention something ( is not) then changed the WHOLE version of what she said yesterday.  Then she promised to be careful about what she says. We will see about that.

My daughter fell asleep after crying her butt off that she was fat and talking about how floppy her belly and thights were. This makes me so sad 

mich.el.le
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:27 PM

She wouldn't be seeing her grandmother anymore. I'd also chew my mil's ass. 

PatriciaWiesner
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Shame on anyone who hassles your daughter about her weight. She is at a tender age where if someone picks on her now it will effect her for the rest of her life. People picked on me at about that age and I just had a little belly. In my adult years I developed anorexia and bulemia. I was so thin and still thought I was fat.

Through my experience with my children I teach them healthy eating. If they want a treat they can have one but I try to balance it with something healthy. Kids should be aloud to be kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)