Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Classmates Birthday Parties *Poll *ETA update

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What should we give?

Options:

A card with $5 money or gift

Card with $10 money or gift

Card with $15 or more money or gift

Card and no money/gift

Other, please specify

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 98

View Results

My dd has been invited to a couple parties lately of classmates but they are not friends. Each time the party is at the local roller skating rink so of course my dd want's to go, which I don't mind. But my question is what is an appropriate gift for a classmate? Everyone is 10-11 years old.

Thank you so much for everyone's opinions. Alot of you said "in my area", well here 78% of all students in the district get free or reduced lunch. So in my area these parties are rarely attended. The last one my dd went to, 30 classmates were invited and 7 went, my dd and the party boy included. I gave $5 for that boy since they were not friends. The next party is this Sunday and I'm giving a $5 gift card to Claires. It will cost those parents a couple dollars for my kid to skate because she is bringing her own roller blades. I also send my dd with cash so she can buy water, since the parents buy pitchers of pop which my dd doesn't drink. So skating and a cupcake for my dd is less than $5. (There is no indication that any food is going to be served beyond cupcakes.) Thanks again for all your input, very interesting! =) Maybe I should add it doesn't cost anything to have a party at this place. You only pay per skater and skate rental, it's Never more than $5 per person.

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Replies (81-83):
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:48 PM

It's a classmate from school. Rules are you have to invite everyone or no one. My dd's going because she loves to skate, only reason.

Quoting RobinSamRyan:

Only $5 is cheap as hell and gaging your amount to spend on a gift, based on what it costs the parents for your child to be there, is no way to decide on a gift.  If this child is not your child's friend, why is your child going in the first place?  Why was your child invited, if your child is not their friend?  That part doesn't make sense to me.  My daughter does not attend parties of strangers or nonfriends.

LicParaMommy
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I would never leave my child either.  I thought it was crazy how parents (whom I"ve never seen before in my life) show up with their children and then just left.  "I'll be back in a few hours," is their usual reply.  I could be a psycho for all they knew! 

But I always give either a $20 - $40 gift card or gift.  Depending on where the party is being held, I want to make sure it is worth the money for the b-day child's parents.

Quoting splatz:

Ack.. all the ones he has been to were at public places. He definitely wouldn't be going to someones house. And I always stay with him lol.

Quoting goddess99:

Z usually doesn't either but she loves the roller rink and we know the owners, go there all the time and Z is going to have her party there in July so if I don't let her go to those I'll never hear the end of it. But if the party is at someone's house and I've never hear that kids name before, she doesn't go.

Quoting splatz:

I think that is dumb honestly. Cam never attends the non-friend parties.

Quoting goddess99:

I agree, it's hard when you have to invite everyone.

Quoting mrsnoble2004:

Honestly in my area you are lucky if anyone shows up so not much emphasis is put on the gift. Dollar Tree stuff is the norm for kids that you aren't actually friends with. If they would quit requiring kids to invite the whole class so no one gets butt hurt it would probably be more pleasant for everyone.

LicParaMommy
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't mind inviting everyone.  Only a hand full only show up anyways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN