Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Classmates Birthday Parties *Poll *ETA update

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What should we give?

Options:

A card with $5 money or gift

Card with $10 money or gift

Card with $15 or more money or gift

Card and no money/gift

Other, please specify

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 98

View Results

My dd has been invited to a couple parties lately of classmates but they are not friends. Each time the party is at the local roller skating rink so of course my dd want's to go, which I don't mind. But my question is what is an appropriate gift for a classmate? Everyone is 10-11 years old.

Thank you so much for everyone's opinions. Alot of you said "in my area", well here 78% of all students in the district get free or reduced lunch. So in my area these parties are rarely attended. The last one my dd went to, 30 classmates were invited and 7 went, my dd and the party boy included. I gave $5 for that boy since they were not friends. The next party is this Sunday and I'm giving a $5 gift card to Claires. It will cost those parents a couple dollars for my kid to skate because she is bringing her own roller blades. I also send my dd with cash so she can buy water, since the parents buy pitchers of pop which my dd doesn't drink. So skating and a cupcake for my dd is less than $5. (There is no indication that any food is going to be served beyond cupcakes.) Thanks again for all your input, very interesting! =) Maybe I should add it doesn't cost anything to have a party at this place. You only pay per skater and skate rental, it's Never more than $5 per person.

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Replies (51-60):
Jadegirl1819
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:01 AM

$15 is on the low side for my area.

romalove
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Whatever floats your boat.

$5 would be a very odd gift in my area.

I am actually one of the less "giving" moms - many wont do under $25.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Not a thing wrong with $5. It shouldn't be about the amount, it should be about the fact that the child came to celebrate. 

$20 is what I would give my niece & nephew pretty much. No way a barely known classmate. Great you have those financials but to me, no need. That is extremely overboard for a classmate they don't hang out with & only invited to get numbers or include everyone fairly ( how we do it ). 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

$5????

Yikes - I wouldn't give less than $20 in cash or gift card.

In my area it would be almost impossible.  I'm trying to think of what a $5 gift would look like lol.  I have three kids, my youngest is 17, and we never went that cheap on a gift for any kid -- ever.  Average is $20, when my older two were younger, average was $15.

renijazzysmom
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I think $10. Every time we have done a party at a skating ring/ bowling alley/pool it usually cost the parent that is throwing the party around $10 for each kid they invite. So that's why I would give $10.
STVUstudent
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this

In my kids' age range, i can usually find a fun game or toy for around $10.  the last party we went to, it looked like a lot of the toys were big, and considerably more expensive, but you know, I can't afford 2 or 3 $25 presents for every party we are invited to.  I don't see the gift as "payback" for what the parents spent on the party... it's a gift...

littlelamb303
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:17 AM

My dd is older now, but people would always give at least $20(and that was a few years ago). I suppose if the kid is not really a friend, maybe lower, but I would never give only $5.  When my dd goes to a house party now, we give at least $30

littlelamb303
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Whatever floats your boat.

$5 would be a very odd gift in my area.

I am actually one of the less "giving" moms - many wont do under $25.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Not a thing wrong with $5. It shouldn't be about the amount, it should be about the fact that the child came to celebrate. 

$20 is what I would give my niece & nephew pretty much. No way a barely known classmate. Great you have those financials but to me, no need. That is extremely overboard for a classmate they don't hang out with & only invited to get numbers or include everyone fairly ( how we do it ). 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

$5????

Yikes - I wouldn't give less than $20 in cash or gift card.

In my area it would be almost impossible.  I'm trying to think of what a $5 gift would look like lol.  I have three kids, my youngest is 17, and we never went that cheap on a gift for any kid -- ever.  Average is $20, when my older two were younger, average was $15.

Where I live, the same thing.  My dd was 10  six years ago and we never gave under $20, and she never received under $20 either. $5 would be an insult here. Now when she goes to teen parties, if it is at a nice catering hall, we give $50.  In the house, $30.  You just don't give 5 or even 10 gifts here.

flowrsgalore
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I can not imagine any toy that costs $5-15 that would possibly enthuse a 10 or 11 year old, even with the very best bargain hunting. If $10 is in your budget I'd go with that & pop it in the card. that way the child can save up & buy what they really want.

ms-superwoman
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

If it is a girl buy a few little nail polishes or headbands or body sprays. Something to that effect. Put them in a small bag, with a card.Go to a dollar store and it will be cheap.

If it is a boy you could go to Game stop and buy a used game. Or go to the dollar store and get a body spray set, Axe or something. Wrap it with a card. Still cheap.

Any of that could cost less than $20.

Come join us!

Butt 'N Gut

GLO682
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:10 AM

i have never given less than 10 dollars. we don't go to everyone's birthday in the class just my daughters closest friends. if its a child that i have over, or we see each other outside of school, my daughter normally picks out a gift for them around 20 dollars.

yperez0209
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Maybe I'm way off but I have to say other. When I go to target and buy a b-day gift I spend way more. Lets see, the gift can cost about 20-30 dollars, then there is a gift bag 5 dollars a card 3 dollars and the filler paper 3 dollars. I end up spending around 40-50 in total. Isn't that a round about figure on what the parents are spending on my child. These kiddie parties are not cheap. So, if I don't have time to actually buy the gift they get a 40-50 dollar gift card, what I would of spent anyway. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)