Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Babysitting and taxes

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:31 AM
  • 6 Replies
I am going to start watching a boy two days a week for 30 dollars a week. Do you have to file income on taxes or is that generally under the table. I know she will be paying cash but I was curious and didn't know of that is a appropriate question to ask someone. I am really just meeting her and her son my sister babysits him now but isn't able to anymore so we are going to meet to see if we click. But I didn't know how the whole money thing would work.
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lcplaygroupie
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:50 AM

Yes it is an appropriate question.  Depending on the amount of money you make, you could end up paying alot come tax time. Find out up front what kid of arrangement she is thinking. I watched a friend's son for a while, it was supposed to be under the table but at the end of the year she decided to try to write off childcare expenses an i had to pay. It sucked. Either way you decide to go just make sure you're know up front. 

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:49 AM

You have to claim income over $600 dollars. Since you are not paying taxes on that money, you will be required to pay taxeson it when tax time comes. There are a lot of people who don't claim cash payments but if she chooses to claim child care expenses on her taxes and you don't file, it can mean an audit for you.

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Bump, personally for $30 a week it would never occur to me to claim that but I don't know the tax laws.

katiesing
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Quoting Reina13:

You have to claim income over $600 dollars. Since you are not paying taxes on that money, you will be required to pay taxeson it when tax time comes. There are a lot of people who don't claim cash payments but if she chooses to claim child care expenses on her taxes and you don't file, it can mean an audit for you.

Yea that's what I was thinking.but was confused because to lack of a paper trail I didn't know if that raised concerns for the IRS.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Ask her if she is going to claim it. Most times it's no.
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:17 PM

That's what I was thinking but probably would have to google the guidelines maybe?

Quoting goddess99:

Bump, personally for $30 a week it would never occur to me to claim that but I don't know the tax laws.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN