Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Safety Harnesses

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:06 AM
  • 15 Replies

Sooo.. 1 of our night time news programs 'The Project' bought up the use of safety harnesses, although they called them leashes. Yes or no? Grrr to all those who say 'It looks cruel' or claim that its 'lazy parenting'. My darling children mean the most to me, and when DS4 who has behaviour problems runs off in a shop or car park and with little sis following close behind, when Im holding baby girl and trying to keep an eye on all 4 kids, Im not a happy camper! Most of the time now I get them babysat while I go to town but harnesses all the way when I do go with them all. What do you think?

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maries_Mom23
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:11 AM

Before I had kids, I always had the "I'll NEVER buy one of those" mindsets.  

We had our first dd, no problem, never bought one.

Had our second dd.  She was 1 1/2 and we were visiting an aquarium over the summer.  I was looking over their website about their hours and it said that during summer hours, strollers are not permitted.  So, DH and I talked over how excited they'd both be and we agreed on a harness.  I bought one of those at Wal Mart with the monkey backpack thing.  The day before our trip, we went to the mall and I tried it out on her.   She loved it.  I used it at the mall and at the aquarium ( a real life saver).  I used it a couple of more times that summer (the zoo and somewhere I can't recall).  I truly understand why some parents use them.  Some will say "that's what a stroller is for, to keep them from running off."  But, why keep them on their butts the whole time you're at the mall, zoo or whatever.  I felt safer with her having it at those places.  Yeah, she could hold my hand, but, she liked being able to walk away from me and look.

So now, I have no problem with them.

beachbeauty
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:26 AM

I did the same thing, this is why people should "never say never", lol.  I had 4 children and they were great about holding my hand or sitting in the stroller.  Then I had my 5th, he hated to be confined, hated holding hands, would run off at the drop of the hat so we bought one of the backpack ones, too, a dog one.  He loved it.  My opinon along with what Maries_Mom23 said is that you do whatever it takes to keep your children safe, nevermind what anyone else thinks.

Quoting Maries_Mom23:

Before I had kids, I always had the "I'll NEVER buy one of those" mindsets.  

We had our first dd, no problem, never bought one.

Had our second dd.  She was 1 1/2 and we were visiting an aquarium over the summer.  I was looking over their website about their hours and it said that during summer hours, strollers are not permitted.  So, DH and I talked over how excited they'd both be and we agreed on a harness.  I bought one of those at Wal Mart with the monkey backpack thing.  The day before our trip, we went to the mall and I tried it out on her.   She loved it.  I used it at the mall and at the aquarium ( a real life saver).  I used it a couple of more times that summer (the zoo and somewhere I can't recall).  I truly understand why some parents use them.  Some will say "that's what a stroller is for, to keep them from running off."  But, why keep them on their butts the whole time you're at the mall, zoo or whatever.  I felt safer with her having it at those places.  Yeah, she could hold my hand, but, she liked being able to walk away from me and look.

So now, I have no problem with them.

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:46 AM

We used a wrist one for our son on occasion.  Mainly when we were at events with a lot of people.  He's legally blind, but didn't always want to hold my hand or sit in a stroller.  It gave him some independance and it gave me security.  Worked for us

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:57 AM

When my dd was little she would just all of a sudden take off like a bat out of hell and I and this body do Not run lol sooo... yeah I've used them when we would go someplace big like a zoo. Nothing wrong with it, better safe than sorry!

butterbean491
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM
I like being able to give our 18mth old the option to walk with us instead of riding in his stroller all the time. He doesnt understand to hold mommy's hand yet so the harness gives me peace of mind. Also, being 7 1/2 mths prego I simply cant chase him.
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I say what works best for you...I don't really have a problem with them.

EarlGrayHot
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I would never use one and yes, I think in general it's better to hold a hand.  But then I never had four kids either!  Especially with a special needs child it might be best in some situations.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM
I never used one but would if need be.
MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM

99% of the time-OH HELL NO! But there are exceptions to every rule. I think I would take one if taking a rambunctious toddler to disney or similar. Too dangerous to take a risk. Otherwise? If you wanted a dog-get one. Your child isn't a dog. 

Mazi184
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM
I've never used one, but I'm thinking about it. My ds is also 18 months and doesn't understand hand holding, but he doesn't always like his stroller. We'll be going to the zoo, aquarium, and such a lot over summer and I'd love to give him an option to walk.

I'll probably get looks, being "that mom" with only one kid- but *shrugs* oh well.

Quoting butterbean491:

I like being able to give our 18mth old the option to walk with us instead of riding in his stroller all the time. He doesnt understand to hold mommy's hand yet so the harness gives me peace of mind. Also, being 7 1/2 mths prego I simply cant chase him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)