Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Walking age??

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM
  • 13 Replies

At what age did your child start walking without holding your hand or onto furniture?  My son is 15 months old today and he will stand on his own, walk while holding my hand or onto his walker, and cruises around the furniture...but he's not walking on his own yet.  He was a little late at crawling on his hands and knees, sitting up on his own, etc...He was in the hospital for two weeks after having heart surgery at 10 weeks old.  My husband and I think maybe that may have been a set back but then again I've had other parents tell us that their child didn't walk until 15 months or as late as 18 months...he doesn't have any issues with any of his other developemental skills.  He talks, eats with a spoon/fork, grasps things very well, knows how to hold a phone correctly(it's so cute!), climbs, has great upper body strength, etc...

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
villagemamma
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I used to catch my daughter walking from the couch to the table so she could get in to stuff when she was about 9months old but as soon as she noticed that someone was watching her she would fall the the ground and cry. She didnt fully start walking until a year.

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Sounds like he's really close.  My daughter was 17 months when she walked.  We were headed upstairs to get a bath and she took one step, then another and another and finally after the 4th step she fell down.  The next day, she kept getting up after falling and practicing her walking.

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Both of mine walked the week of their first birthdays. It seems like kids just like to focus on perfecting one skill before moving on to the next. My neice didn't walk until 16 or 17 months but she was talking like crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM

My dd was running at her 1st birthday. I've only had 1 child, Idk what's normal.

MsGrayciesMommy
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Literally right after her first birthday. She would walk alone, everywhere. I'm sure he is a little delayed from his surgery. But its also completely normal for him to not be walking yet :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Mine all walked at 12 months. But a couple of my grandkids walked later like yours. The doctor said it is perfectly normal. From what you said  about him, I wouldn't worry about him. He will when he is ready.

Mistygirl
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:22 AM

My oldest walked unassisted at 12 months, literally on his birthday,my second walked unassisted at 9 months, but my third did not walk unassisted until 16 months. He did not roll over , crawl or cruise at the time when statistics say he should have, but now he is almost three and jumping off high things and is all boy rough and tumble, I do not follow an y of the milestone trackers, every child is different and does things at their own pace. Try not to worry at the moment, they say some children start walking between 15 to 24 months, it will happen.

tabdemogola
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:17 PM
My lo started walking 1day before before 10monthsand :) ive known babies that wont walk on their own just beacuse they dont want to yet and then they just randomly do it before they turn 2 :)
MansfieldMama
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM

My oldest was 16.5 months old before he walked, but he was speaking clearly in sentences.  My youngest was right at a year old.

MomInATreeStand
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:09 PM
My daughter was at 13 months and my son was at 9 monthsv
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)