Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Put my cat down :(

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM
  • 27 Replies
Last night we took our cat to be euthanized. We believe she was greatly suffering from renal failure and severe complications resulting from that. It's incurable. She has been our wonderful pet for nearly 15 years. My kids were really close with her. My oldest (10) is taking it really hard. Has anyone else been through this before? What's the best way to help a 10yo through the grieving process?
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM

We've lost 3 of our own cats, 1 dog and 1 cat at "grandmas", and 1 guinea pig all since my dd has been about 6 or 7. It's hard but kids seem to be more resilient than adults. My dd still talks about them sometimes but she only cried right when it happened. Just give her a day or 2. I'm sorry for your loss!! =(

SlapItHigh
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Sorry you all have been through so many pet losses. We have only had hermit crabs die until now. Ds did cry she his hermit crab died but got over it pretty quickly. The bonding wasn't the same for the crab. His time he was gut wrenching sobbing for an hour until we calmed him down a little. He says he feels like she is everywhere b/c he is so used to seeing her. She was part of his morning routine so it was rough this morning.

Quoting goddess99:

We've lost 3 of our own cats, 1 dog and 1 cat at "grandmas", and 1 guinea pig all since my dd has been about 6 or 7. It's hard but kids seem to be more resilient than adults. My dd still talks about them sometimes but she only cried right when it happened. Just give her a day or 2. I'm sorry for your loss!! =(

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

aww =(

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Sorry you all have been through so many pet losses. We have only had hermit crabs die until now. Ds did cry she his hermit crab died but got over it pretty quickly. The bonding wasn't the same for the crab. His time he was gut wrenching sobbing for an hour until we calmed him down a little. He says he feels like she is everywhere b/c he is so used to seeing her. She was part of his morning routine so it was rough this morning.

Quoting goddess99:

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I'm so sorry.hugs

breebree04
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Im sorry you and your children had to go through that. I remember having pets when I was a kid that had to be put down and its sad but we recovered quickly. My kids havent had to go through that yet but I dread it happening. I finally caved and got them a dog 2 yrs ago and he is aggressive and has already bitten a couple of times. I tear up everytime I think about having to put him down. I know my kids would take it really hard. He is so loving (but mean at times) and my kids love him. Im hoping I never have to have him put down :(

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM
I'm so sorry for you n your family lose.my oldest was 4 yr in prek when we had his uncle come get my dog that i got when i was 16 yr old.he took it hard n still does at 10 yr old.
SlapItHigh
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Thank you.

Quoting Cafe AmyS:

I'm so sorry.hugs

SlapItHigh
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM

So sorry :(.

Quoting auntangelofsix:

I'm so sorry for you n your family lose.my oldest was 4 yr in prek when we had his uncle come get my dog that i got when i was 16 yr old.he took it hard n still does at 10 yr old.

SlapItHigh
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Oh wow, what kind of dog?

Quoting breebree04:

Im sorry you and your children had to go through that. I remember having pets when I was a kid that had to be put down and its sad but we recovered quickly. My kids havent had to go through that yet but I dread it happening. I finally caved and got them a dog 2 yrs ago and he is aggressive and has already bitten a couple of times. I tear up everytime I think about having to put him down. I know my kids would take it really hard. He is so loving (but mean at times) and my kids love him. Im hoping I never have to have him put down :(

Mel0dy
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Awwwww Im so sorry. I have lots many pets and its really hard to get over. It is like losing a bestfriend if you were really close with them. My DD is only 18 months so we have not had to deal with her feeling the pain of a lost pet but I know that day will come someday and it will be heartbreaking. The only thing I would say is just listen to him when he talks about the cat and talk with him about it. Tell funny memories and maybe do something special for the cat like a painted rock in the garden or something. The only thing you can really do is be there for him and be understanding and loving 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN