Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I've never once EVER heard a mom say how she wished she never had that second child.

I had a son with my first marriage almost 5 years ago. Now I'm happily remarried and new hubby would like a kid of his own and I know I should give my son a sibling.

But I just don't know if I'm cut out for it. I see people all the time that have two kid and they still work their full time jobs and are happy. And then I see moms that have two kids and they are SAHM and they still make it on one income.

I've double checked every senerio (me working or staying home) and I'm still scared to death. Will I ever be ready for a second kid? I kind of want to go ahead and try and just DO IT already but............. what is it like? Is it easier having two kids? How does your heart feel loving TWO kids? Are you overly stressed? My son is old enough to help out and he's self sufficent so it's not like I'll have two babies....but any advice from mommy's of two angels?

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Replies (11-20):
jessi2girls
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I'm a single mother of two kids.. I work from home so technically still am a SAHM as well. It is easier? No.. but is it twice as hard? No.    There are goign to be times where yes, it's difficult to juggle two children.. (grocery shopping comes to mind! lol)  But it's not as if two children make it twice as difficult to raise a child. (Hope that makes sense).

My heart feels the same love for my first born as it does my second born... I love them both the same.. there are times I may like or enjoy being around one more than the other, but I'll always love both of them.

As far as stress goes.. everyone has their good days and bad days.. some days are easier than others, but ultimately it comes down to how YOU handle it personally!

LawMom8308
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Well, that makes sense.

I guess grocery shopping wouldn't be TOO bad bc my son is old enough to walk by himself and help me pick things off the shelf and put in the buggy. He would be my "helper". There are times now where my son drives me bonkers and stresses me out. But that's ANY kid. I guess I think it would be easier for me now bc he IS older.

Quoting jessi2girls:

I'm a single mother of two kids.. I work from home so technically still am a SAHM as well. It is easier? No.. but is it twice as hard? No.    There are goign to be times where yes, it's difficult to juggle two children.. (grocery shopping comes to mind! lol)  But it's not as if two children make it twice as difficult to raise a child. (Hope that makes sense).

My heart feels the same love for my first born as it does my second born... I love them both the same.. there are times I may like or enjoy being around one more than the other, but I'll always love both of them.

As far as stress goes.. everyone has their good days and bad days.. some days are easier than others, but ultimately it comes down to how YOU handle it personally!

mama232011
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 5:36 PM
My daughter love her brother more than anything in the world I couldn't imagine not having him now that he's here
reche1978
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 5:44 PM

i have two kids but I dont think my advise will help your the only one who can make that decision

good luck!

jessi2girls
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Mine are 3 years apart.. right now my oldest is 5, and my youngest is 2.. my 5 year old is a big helper a majority of the time.. but she's also 5.. and my 2 year old idolizes her (even if she gets mad  at her frequently, lol).. she wants to do everything her sister does.. 

at times.. this is good! lol.. at othertimes.. not so much!

Quoting LawMom8308:

Well, that makes sense.

I guess grocery shopping wouldn't be TOO bad bc my son is old enough to walk by himself and help me pick things off the shelf and put in the buggy. He would be my "helper". There are times now where my son drives me bonkers and stresses me out. But that's ANY kid. I guess I think it would be easier for me now bc he IS older.

Quoting jessi2girls:

OliviasMommy611
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:00 PM
I'm in the same boat!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmmaGlenn20
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:10 PM
I'm a SAHM to two little ones, first DD is 19 months and second DD is 2 months. It's definitely challenging at times and I won't lie, we had a lot of sleepless nights pondering over whether or not we were doing the right thing by having two. In the end, we decided yes. We are only children ourselves and we didn't want our daughter to be too lonely. There are other reasons, too. We are VERY much done with two, DH is getting a vasectomy. We are selfish people and like to spend a lot of time on our hobbies and with each other alone when we can. It sounds bad but we figured that two is the limit to the number of children we could leave with a relative to get a date night on occasion lol. That's just my story, hopefully it helped a little along with all of the others!
MamaMoopsie
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm a mom to almost 5 (my 10 year old stepdaughter who lives with us, my 4 year old, my soon to be 3 year old, my 18 month old, and I'm 37 weeks pregnant).

Two kids is definitely different than just one, but still very much worth it. I already had my stepdaughter when my first DD came along. My stepdaughter was 6 and such a wonderful help. She loved being a big sister so much and is still just an amazing sister.

I worked part time after my first was born and then worked full time after my second was born (include my stepdaughter and that makes three kids). I stopped working a few months before we found out we were expecting our third baby together and I haven't looked back. Sometimes finances get tight (three kids in diapers was insane!)

When I found out I was pregnant with my second I was so upset. I wanted more time between them, but looking at them now I'm so glad fate gave me two so close together (they're 12 months and 6 days apart in age). They are best friends. They love their big sister and honestly they all entertain each other.

I won't lie, some things are more difficult. You're used to an older child who is capable of doing so much by himself, so when you get that newborn again you've forgotten so much about what it takes or at least remember it to be so much easier than it is at first. Then you find your stride. You figure out what works for your family and it turns into a great thing. And loving two kids is not even a question. You just do and you feel wonderful. Or, at least, I did.

I'm not overly stressed most of the time. I will say that getting out the door is very time consuming with as many kids as I have, but you plan accordinly.

orliesmom
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I absolutley love having two kids. My husband already had 2 kids from a previous marriage but they are teenagers already and live full time with their mom. We have two together and balance it all perfectly. We just found out we are expecting our third so we will see how it goes.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:56 AM

I only wanted one and that's all I have is one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)