Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Can your kids go Screen Free for a week?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:20 AM
  • 17 Replies

It is Screen Free Week this week (April 29 - May 5).

The object is to turn off the television, video games, hand held games and any other screens that your children use for entertainment. Instead they are supposed to 'turn on' the world around them, by reading, playing outside, exploring nature, spending time with family etc....

So I was thinking, could your children go screen free for a week?

How much screen time do they generally get during the day?

Could YOU go screen free (except Cafemom of course...lol) for a week? 

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zacmacsmomm
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Well they could if I made them, but um, I wouldn't do that. lol

undrcvrmom
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Ya, I don't think my kids would be very happy about it, neither would I but if I made them of course they could do it.  BUT I would be pulling my hair out by day 3 I assure you.lol

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM

If I could still go on cm then maybe lol. The only time my dd goes without screens for a week is when she's grounded but we don't enforce it for the school's screen free week.

BaBa1123
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:51 AM
3 moms liked this

My 2 boys ages 8 and 10 go screen free from Monday thru Friday every week during the school period.  The beginning of school each year they will have some complaints about it but once they get into the routine of not playing any video games during the school year they know there is no dicussion about it.  I feel at the young age that they are at now, they need to do other things than play video games.   On the weekends when we have miserable weather I do allow them to play for about a hour but that is it.  Spring time and summer time they are outside with various sports to play.  I am not much on the computer and TV is not usually on.  Me and my husband usually wat ch movies the kids have movie nights on Friday and Saturday nights.  We alre all doing fine by keeping the TV on a limited basis.  

MJP76
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, they could. Yes I could.

they probably get about 10 hours of screen time Monday-Friday. Weekends are a little different, depending on the weather. If its nice outside.. They are generally outside.

we take two vacations a year, and we have a rule on vacations that there are no electronics. Obviously we need our phones, for emergencies, or if we need to look up something to do... But it's very minor use of the phones and all other electronic devices are "unplugged" our vacations range anywhere from 5 days to 20 days... So I'd say we unplug a lot.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Pssh no way here lol!

abecee
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:04 PM

If we lost our electricity we could otherwise...not a chance

emarin77
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:07 PM

My soon to be 5 year old son usually only watches TV on weekends which are Disney movies.  I'm going to have forget the internet for 22 days because my family is driving up north to visit friends and family. 

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Ugggg no way here.
letstalk747
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:52 PM

yeah , if they can play outside

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)