Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Is this appropriate for young girls?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:08 PM
  • 147 Replies
7 moms liked this

I was doing some shopping for summer clothes earlier today and noticed that a lot of the shorts for girls sizes 7 -14 were pretty short. I also noticed some cotton shorts and even underwear had wording on the bottom.

Maybe it is just me, but I think that for girls that age, that the shorts were too small and the writing on the butt is inappropriate. 

What do you think? Am I just showing my age, or do you think these types of things are inappropriate for girls ages 7-14?

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunset1081
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:32 PM
25 moms liked this
I agree with you no attention needs to be drawn toward a butt of any child
MySweetChild
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:40 PM
2 moms liked this

The shorts for these girls are super short!!  My DD is 10 & she is a little shorter than most of her girlfriends, so hers do not seem bad at all on her...different story on the other girls her age!  Our school actually has a rule about short shorts, they have to pass a hand test, so we have to be careful when purchasing shorts for school.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I completely agree with you!

butterbean491
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't approve either. I will often shop with my 12yr old stepdaughter. Thank goodness her mother and I have alot of the same taste and veiws on clothing. My stepdaughter is really good about not wanting clothes that are too short or revealing. She usally won't even try something on if it is not school dress code.  I always let her pick what she likes but I (or mom) have the final say so. 

KenneMaw
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM
5 moms liked this

My DH is pretty laid back but he will not tolerate any clothes for our DD that have words on the butt.   She has 1 pair of PJs with something on the butt, and he even hates those too and they don't leave the house!    I don't like the words on back of pants for anyone over 3 or so.  It is just silly.  As for the short-short - No no no...again, even for girls under 7 and over 14.   Unless you are posing for underwear ads or at the beach, there is no place ever for super short shorts.   Hey - any clothes that dig into your ass or give you camel toe are not attractive.

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't like the short shorts or words on the butt thing either. Kids seem to be growing up earlier and earlier and dressing more revealing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2zbg
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

they have it on Juniors/teens clothes also... The shorts are short for them too...

I personally don't like it and it's not my style...

If i had a young daughter, I would probably be picking out her clothes because she is not fixing to walk out of the house looking like trash

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:03 PM
I remember that from when I was in school. They had to at least be as long as your pointer finger. Or maybe it was middle finger? lol

Quoting MySweetChild:

The shorts for these girls are super short!!  My DD is 10 & she is a little shorter than most of her girlfriends, so hers do not seem bad at all on her...different story on the other girls her age!  Our school actually has a rule about short shorts, they have to pass a hand test, so we have to be careful when purchasing shorts for school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MySweetChild
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Yes, they have to go by their middle finger!  Which I have no problem with!! And I believe they have a no spaghetti strap tank rule now, they have to be regular tank tops.

Quoting splatz:

I remember that from when I was in school. They had to at least be as long as your pointer finger. Or maybe it was middle finger? lol

Quoting MySweetChild:

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I like the shorts on them to have a little length not super short.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)