Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Is this appropriate for young girls?

Posted by   + Show Post

I was doing some shopping for summer clothes earlier today and noticed that a lot of the shorts for girls sizes 7 -14 were pretty short. I also noticed some cotton shorts and even underwear had wording on the bottom.

Maybe it is just me, but I think that for girls that age, that the shorts were too small and the writing on the butt is inappropriate. 

What do you think? Am I just showing my age, or do you think these types of things are inappropriate for girls ages 7-14?

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Replies (91-100):
jessifromdenver
by on May. 10, 2013 at 9:08 PM
2 moms liked this
I think writing on the butt of pants or shorts is inappropriate for anyone, no matter what age. It's super trashy.
paintitblack0
by on May. 10, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. Inappropriate for those ages. My daughter will not be walking out of the house like that

QB2
by on May. 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a rule when buying shorts for my daughter. When she tries them on she has to bend over in front of me. If I see ass or ass crack then no I don't buy them. Tough shit if she doesn't like it. I buy the clothes not her!
xxMichellexx
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Little girls should look like little girls:) not like miniature 18 year olds...

A lot of the clothes for girls 4-12 are better suited for older teens.. As for writing on the butt, whenever anyone wears clothing with something written on them, we immediately read what it says..
No clothing below the waist should have writing on the butt, not even adult clothes.. It draws the wrong kind of attention..
eclaudin
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM
No, I don't care for that. Writing on anyone's butt is just plain silly. As for the short shorts, little girls are only little for so long and should dress like a little girl, not a teen or a twentysomething. They have their whole (adult) lives to dress like hoochies if they so choose.
xxshelbyxxx
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I know that's how my school was when I was in junior high and highschool (elementary I went to private so no need to worry about short shorts and butt wiring there!). And I'm 22 so it was awhile ago but not too long ago. Shirts and skirts had to be no more than 3 inches above the knee which is A LOT longer than most girls prefer (sadly). But my bro is 18 and I swear to god the girls I see walking out of school... You'd think they got rid of the dress code all together !

Quoting MySweetChild:

The shorts for these girls are super short!!  My DD is 10 & she is a little shorter than most of her girlfriends, so hers do not seem bad at all on her...different story on the other girls her age!  Our school actually has a rule about short shorts, they have to pass a hand test, so we have to be careful when purchasing shorts for school.

Paralegaleagle
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Agree
jedwards2009
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Agree. I bought a really cute pair of sweat pant capris for dd (3yrs) at a yard sale last week. Got home and realized they had "brat" written across rhe butt. Went straight into my yard sale pile Smh.
copasetic1
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:47 PM

You are 100% right. Children should never be sexualized.

Elizabeth102003
by on May. 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM
I was just saying the same thing yesterday about booty shorts with words on the backside for my 7 year old little and I stress little girl! What the hell is back there at that age that would need attention drawn to it? Better yet at 16 when there is something there potentially....why would you want someone staring there? I'm only 28 years old and consider myself pretty up on the times and trends but this is one we will not be allowing in our house ever!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)