Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should metal detectors be placed in schools?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM
  • 6 Replies

I was reading an article about a students attempted suicide at his all male Catholic high school in suburban Cincinnati yesterday morning.

He apparently shot himself in the classroom in front of other students.

So I start to wonder, could this have been prevented? 

What if he intended to harm others instead of himself? Should metal detectors in schools be the norm?

Violence can happen at any school, so would it put your mind at ease if detectors were mandatory in all  schools?

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mommyshere
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I'm not sure - maybe in some schools. I think it would be scary for little kids to have to be screened by a metal detector every day when going to school.

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM

This makes me sad. I live in a Fort Worth suburb and our school district does not have them. I do know that some of the other Ft. Worth schools do.

Last year, when my son was still in high school his football team made the playoffs and we traveled to a stadium we had never played at before. I was surprised that there were metal detectors and security people with wands at the entrance.

goddess99
by Michelle on May. 1, 2013 at 9:58 AM

We have metal detectors at our high school.

mcginnisc
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:04 AM

The school I graduated from has had them for at least 17 years. They put them in a few years after we graduated. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

mawith2
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM
With all the shootings etc I feel better knowing the school takes precautions. Definitely :)
Janet
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I agree.

Quoting mawith2:

With all the shootings etc I feel better knowing the school takes precautions. Definitely :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)