Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

HELP needed!!!!!

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:40 PM
  • 10 Replies

Can anyone help me with education and learning or teaching my son. HIs 9 months and I want to start teaching him colors and so forth. I sit and watch PBS with him and read to him from here and there. What activites and teaching methods can I use to teach him and things? 

by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSnaps
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Books are the key to everything. A book of colors. Point to the color and say it. 
Counting is easy too. Books can count or you can take a bunch of blocks or toys in a bucket and count them.

People think that teaching their kids is this major production that is elusive and we have to learn how to do it. It's not. It's just a matter of playing with them and interacting with them. Just like a puppy if you show it what you want from it-it will learn. So will your son.  

splatz
by Sarah on May. 2, 2013 at 1:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with books. When my son was around 1 I bought toddler flashcards. They are thicker than normal flashcards & have the basics on them. He LOVED doing those. I did the same with my daughter and she loved it too. Then I would take the basics colors/shapes/whatever that were on the flashcards as we were going about our day. Say for example you are going for a walk. Tell him about the green grass and the red stop sign. 

I agree with the PP, its not a major production. :)

cookierode
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this
You don't need anything really but repetition. Point and say, point and say, repeat;)
Janet
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree. When my kids were little. I used books, blocks, etc....

hotmomma033
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:23 PM

When they asked what a toy was, usually I would say its a blue truck, or a pink car. Usually naming the color and the name of the toy. but like the other moms have said, its mainly repetition. And make it fun because it can get verry dull for a child. I learned that when you incoporate fun with it, then it tends to stick better.As my oldest got older, I started teaching her colors when she was able to talk and taught with candyland game because it was fun plus she learned her colors really fast that way. So try making it fun. She was talking by the time she was a year and half. like full on sentences and everything. So we started teaching her the ABCs, numbers, and colors, shapes....etc. By the time she got to school, she could count to 100. 

Knightquester
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Talk a lot, point to things and explain a lot, have fun in an educational and engaging way with him with nearly everything you guys do.

At that age my kids very rarely watched TV because we were busy doing so many other things, so I don't know how much PBS helps, if at all.

There are songs you can sing to him, and encourage him to sing to you, books you can read and talk to him about.  Really a lot of just being there and having fun with him while you're teaching him something will help him learn what he needs to.

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I bought the preschoolprepco series from thier website. They have colors,shapes,numbers, vowels, letters. Each dvd is about $14 or you can buy the whole set. My daughter knew everything by age two. I highly recomend it if you dont have the patience to sit and teach him. I plan on my youngest daughter watching them too when she is ready. She is only 8 months and hasnt showed much intrest in tv so im not gonna rush it. We only play them a couple hours a day if that depending on how tuned in my kiddos are. Nothing wrong with tv. He is still little so just play with him. Get some balls or blocks that have colors and introduce them. Stick with that for a while and if he shows interest in learning colors and knows them then after that start with shapes. ex: Red Square. 

coolmomma1968
by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this

ever hear of baby einstein?try that:)

Pammi86
by Pamela on May. 3, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I would get blocks and etc that he can play with and learn but 9 months is a little early!

lovemysalior13
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Thanks to you all. Great help his showing intrest in tv. We were watching big bang and he started laughing lol. He loves PBS his fav show I noticed is Daniel the Tiger he sits and watch and he starts to dance when the songs comes on. I read him books but I havent read to him in a while. I've gotten caught up in my reading.  But I talk to him a lot like his my friend. I chat about cooking and also the weather and I ask him how are you doing and I sing to him . So your right his still a little young but I wanted to help him out a little early. Thanks ladies have a great one. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)