Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

If You Are Divorced: Did you reclaim your maiden name?

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM
  • 7 Replies

Poll

Question: After your divorce, what did you do with your name?

Options:

Reclaim your maiden name

Keep your married name

Hyphenate your maiden and married nam

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 9

View Results

On the flip side of the married question, if you are divorced or have been divorced before, did you reclaim your maiden name after your divorce was final? Did you keep your maiden name or did you hyphenate it?

Why did you make the decision you did?

by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Reina13
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM

When I got divorced, I reclaimed my maiden name but hyphenated it with my married last name. I did it that way because I wanted my name back but I also wanted to have the same name as my son, so it was the compromise I came up with.

CampClan
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I have 4 kids by my ex & my oldest (not ex's) has his last name as well. I wasn't about to pay money to get it changed back! If I ever get married again I'm hyphenating my current last name with my new married last name.
justdebbie67
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I took my maiden name back but now I wish I didnt as we are now 6 months after the divorce working on our relationship.

splatz
by Sarah on May. 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I went back to my maiden name. It sucks not having the same last name as my son. But, I never felt like a part of my ex husbands family so it seemed better to drop it. 

mewebb82
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Reclaimed my maiden name and then took my husbands name
laturner1
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:28 AM

It took almost the full 2 years of the divorce process for me to decide to go back to my maiden name.  At first, I was going to hyphenate, but as time went on, my ex family showed more and more that I was no longer a part of their family.  They no longer treated me (or the kids, for that matter) as family.  So, I chose to return to my maiden name.  Yes, it's tough sometimes because I always have to say " so and so's mom," but I am glad I did it.  Also, the kids sometimes ask if we are still family with different names and I remind them that their aunt (my sister) is still part of our family even though she is married and has a different name from our parents.  That even when I was married, I was still their grandparents' child and part of the family even though I had their daddy's last name.  They will always be part of my family, regardless of the their last name and mine.

jean_marie1987
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM
I'm not divorced, but my parents are getting divorced. My mom wants to go back to her maiden name but was told that the process is long and costly. She's decided to stay with her married name. My MIL is also divorced, and has changed back to her maiden name in every way but legally for the same reason.
I didn't realize it took so much to go back to the name you were born with.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN