Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Does your kids school require community service yet?

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM
  • 3 Replies

The middle and high schools in our district require students to have a certain amount of community service hours per school year.

If the student is involved in sports, there are also community service hours required.

Does your child's school require community service hours? 
Has your child participated in any community projects, outside of school? 

by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MichelleMc
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Not per school year but that is awesome! I think it is so sad that kids don't do any community service anymore. It is amazing to me that people don't do any themselves or have their kids do any without requirements. It is so sad. 

My son is a scout, and now an Eagle scout & an OA Vigil member, so of course he did/does community service all the time since the age of 6 with that. He also does volunteer work with Civil Air Patrol. 

But we also did it as a family with veteran's, with the state parks, with churches that did food programs to help the homeless, etc. 

When he got to high school, it is a requirement for graduation only. I thought, sad they have to force kids & to hear people my gosh, I thought it was some high amount of hours. So I was interested to hear. 8 hours. I said, your joking right? You mean 18 or 80? No 8 she said. I said he has done that in one day, 8 hours? She said I have parents calling throwing a fit in April that they just can't get their kids to get it done. I said, SERIOUSLY??? What a sad sad world we live in. I gave her 5 more places they didn't have to give kids to help out. She was so happy. We told our son he couldn't do anything that he already did, it had to be something above the "norm" for his 8 hours. It was done MONTHS ago. He graduates next month.

Michelle, Body Combat Addict
Proud Mom of Jonathan, My Future Soldier and Eagle & Vigil Scout
Proud Navy Submarine Vet WifeTo Jake

goddess99
by Michelle on May. 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM

No but what a great idea!

1squishysmom
by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Community hours have always been required to graduate. It can be done at any time during your junior or senior year. Our oldest son had it easy, because he is an Eagle scout. Our younger son is a junior this year. We have to find him something this summer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN