Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My son was just introduced to the "P" word!!

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:45 AM
  • 22 Replies

Yesterday, I took my 8 year old son to see Iron Man 3. It was a packed theater with tons of kids of all ages.

Before we went, I read the reviews and ratings on it to make sure it was appropriate for him. It has a PG-13 rating and this is what was listed: MPAA rating: PG-13 for sequences of intense sci-fi action and violence throughtout, and brief suggestive content. No where does it say language. While I agree that the sci-fi action violence was there, it was very comic bookish. We talked about it before hand, he understands that it is all just 'movie magic' and not real. My issue was that half way through the movie the main character who plays Iron Man tells a kid (10- 12 yrs in age) not to be a "p***y". There was an audible gasp from the crowd, mostly of parents with of younger children.

My issue is that no where in the MPAA warning did it say anything about language.

Would you be upset if your child heard this word or any other inappropriate word in a movie that gave NO indication that that type of language would be used?

by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pammi86
by Pamela on May. 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM
That's a risk you get with movies!
TheDoctorsWife
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:46 AM

No. If my child brought it up or used the word, I would just explain it's a bathroom word and rude to use. He's pretty good about not using bad language.

zacmacsmomm
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Uh no, when you take a child to see anything other than a G rated movie you are going to get language.  My children learned early on that cuss words were for adult NOT children.  Was never an issue

NikkiGross42
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Brief suggestive content!

OliviasMommy611
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. Can't shelter our kids.

Quoting TheDoctorsWife:

No. If my child brought it up or used the word, I would just explain it's a bathroom word and rude to use. He's pretty good about not using bad language.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:29 AM
I think you're being dramatic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Michaelsmom0522
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Me too

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

I think you're being dramatic.
la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM

When my children hear words, I don't approve of, I explain it's an adult word and it's not appropriate for daily conversations.

lilbit53009
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM

no...i don't sensor much with my son. he knows what he can and can't say. if he brought it up or used it we'd explain why it was bad and move on.

goddess99
by Michelle on May. 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I've seen nudity in a pg13 movie so nothing surprises me anymore. Kids talk worse than that on the playground at school, he was gona hear it sooner or later.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)