Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

what age is okay for kids to have cell phones?

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM
  • 60 Replies

I was not allowed to have a cell phone unless i bought it & paid the monthly bills. i see so many kids that are like 5 or 6 with their own phones i can understand for saftey issues when they start school & are out alot these kids have like iphones which i think is a bit much. anyway so my son is 3 and asks me all the time for one i keep telling him he has 10 more years. what are your thoughts when would you allow your kids to have cell phone?

by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Janet
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Teenager

grneyedormom
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Mine was 7, however there were logical reasons behind getting one so early. Otherwise, it would have been later on.
boshs1andonly
by on May. 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I wasn't allowed to have a phone until I needed one, because I was working but didn't drive yet. DD has several phones but they are all broken lol. It just keeps her from playing with mine. I won't be getting her a real cell phone until she's much older. 

goddess99
by Michelle on May. 6, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Idk what age is ok, too young they might lose it, as they get older they do things that aren't appropriate (or their friends do) so it's a crap shoot.

LAXmom21
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Mine got them in 6th grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CatFishMom
by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:22 PM
2 moms liked this

When they actually need one, for whatever reason. I dont plan on giving them an age limit, it's literally a matter of necessity and finances for me, especially since we dont have a house phone. Who knows what will happen in the next ten years?

xredstarsx
by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:23 PM
My step dd has one and she is ten. She only does because otherwise dh never could get ahold of her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trisha903
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Never cause a lot of problems been there done that
MichelleMc
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM
4 moms liked this

My son got a prepaid at 10. It wasn't used as a "cell phone". He didn't have texting, he didn't give the phone number out. It was for me, his dad & my mom to call him, and him to call us. 

It worked up to a post paid phone once he proved he wasn't going to abuse it or lose it. He got texting at 13, picture mail & smart phone at 16 ( not a DAY before NOOOOO reason for all that before it and because he had proven to be responsible, grades were good, never in trouble at school, etc ). 

I should also add we didn't have a home phone from like 12 on & he was very active in activities away from home. 

Michelle, Body Combat Addict
Proud Mom of Jonathan, My Future Soldier and Eagle & Vigil Scout
Proud Navy Submarine Vet WifeTo Jake

Mommyzlovez
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Mt son asks the same thing I tell him when you startspending the nighand going places with out one of us with you. I HAD said ten ,he is ten now but is not doing those things, that and we are about to move so need to save that extra, shoot I dont even have a cell a te moment lol. But I know for some kids depending on their situation some may need it early where as many will not till hey can buy their own. So for each kid I would say it ...all depends. GL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN