Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

what age is okay for kids to have cell phones?

Posted by   + Show Post

I was not allowed to have a cell phone unless i bought it & paid the monthly bills. i see so many kids that are like 5 or 6 with their own phones i can understand for saftey issues when they start school & are out alot these kids have like iphones which i think is a bit much. anyway so my son is 3 and asks me all the time for one i keep telling him he has 10 more years. what are your thoughts when would you allow your kids to have cell phone?

by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Replies (51-60):
PrdNate
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Our kids get cell phones once they are driving - there's no need for young kids to have them.  If a child needs to contact you during the day or after school there are plenty of phones available in the school.  My 13 year old daughter has called me from the classroom phone when she forgot something and also from the school's office phone when she missed the bus.  Young kids should never be in a situation where they are not near an adult anyway and would feel like they need a cell phone. 

mawith2
by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Mine will not have one until they can buy it and pay for it. Then it will only be calls no texting or internet. Same with driving; they'll have to buy their own car and if they can't pay for insurance they'll have to park it until they can.
SlapItHigh
by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Quoting Janet:

Teenager

For some reason, only the "t" and the "g" are showing up until I go to quote.  

SlapItHigh
by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Are post showing up strange to anyone else?

SlapItHigh
by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Any who, I got my oldest a cell phone when he turned 9 but it's just a cheap track phone so there's no monthly bill.  I got it for his first sleepover.  I just wanted him to be able to call me at any moment!

Boundbylove
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:28 PM
6th grade but knowing the why technology has advanced in the past 10 years. I would start my family on a computer or iPad as early as 3 . A phone much younger then 10.
FionaDz
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM

My sons both got cell phones when they started high school as they were travelling by bus etc . but they only had text msg plans so they were only for emergencies

MrzHelloKitty
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I think it just depends on the situation. When my son starts going places with friends and when he starts going to school, I will be getting him one and it wont be anything fancy like I am sure all his friends will have. He will be getting something simple with minutes and a few text messages NO pictures or interenet. But he will have a way to get up with me or dad if he needs to. and he will most certainly be picking up extra chores at the house. I don't believe in kids just getting things because they want them or throw a fit and expect them, he will learn that if he wants something he has to work for it.

HappyMommyToo
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 8:04 AM
15 or 16.
Diane1223
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 2:03 PM
I think when they hit high school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN